Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,432   Online: 990

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon AV 1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the A1 and love it - when the mirror develops the squeek, it needs oiling. Batteries are still readily available and are mainstream (at least I havent had a problem finding them). The final development of the A series was the T90 which was their last before the EOS. I recommend the T90 for the spot meter, faster top shutter speed and built in motor. Then again I still love the A1 and the AV1 is similar. The FD lenses are so cheap its a joke. The 85 1.2 was sold recently for less than $500 recently. The 50 1.4 is usually around $50.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have an AE-1 which is both auto and manual, or the later model called the AE-1 Program. Again this dates back to the early to mid-1980's, but is certainly more versatile than the AV-1.

Alternatively, you can pick up an A-1 which was Canon's flagship A-series SLR at the time of production. This will offer full manual, aperture and shutter priority, and program whereby it will set both shutter speed and aperture for you. The A-1 was introduced in the late 1970's, so again the light seals will need checking.

Both the AE-1 Program and A-1 were very popular cameras and when you come across one in good working order, you'll certainly enjoy using them.
    I watched further on the internet and indeed i found the AE-1 much better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Regarding potential problems, well used A-series cameras sometimes suffer from 'Canon Cough', AKA mirror bearing failure. The A-1 seem especially prone, perhaps because they were used more intensively, but all A models can get the squeak, which becomes progressively worse until the mirror slows and finally fails.
    Repair is possible but probably not cost effective compared to hooking another body. There's a kit available on ebay, a hypo with oil, but it treats the symptoms not the cause. That said the AV-1 is a neat camera, aperture priority automated but with exposure compensation and it takes the FD lens range which are still a bargain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The T90 also has Matrix Metering as the N8008s and the F-4

Shooter
    35mm

AV-1 potential problems

Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Regarding potential problems, well used A-series cameras sometimes suffer from 'Canon Cough', AKA mirror bearing failure.
    Very true. But apart from that there's little to worry about. The battery door on the AE-1 Program and even more so on the AL-1 QF is prone to break easily though. Not the case on other models. One of my 3 AV-1's is draining batteries too fast (probably the switch is constantly feeding the AE circuit). Light seals don't seem to be an issue, I have 9 bodies in the A series and none have had new seals as far as I'm aware but none have any light leaks.

The AV-1 is actually one of my favorites in this series, despite its lack of manual controls. I prefer to have aperture priority rather than shutter priority any day. With the A-1 I can have both but the controls are more awkward on that body. The only things I sometimes miss on the AV-1 is the DOF preview and AE lock. It has the backlight compensation button though which is a quick and quite unique way to do what you need to do in such cases.

Still looking for some FD glass... 24mm or wider, prices are going up

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a range of fd bodies including regular use of my ae-1 program and new f-1. the canon squeal is easily sorted as it is a mirror lubrication issue rather than a major fault. the av-1 is certainly less than the ideal as far as the manual focus canon cameras go but very neat little body. if you are keen on getting into the fd bodies i would go for the f-1 as it is easily the best of all. having said that, the a series are a great entry into the system and are very cheap and reliable. if you know you can get a working one cheap, then get it. you can always extend the kit (at minimal cost) if you take a liking to it.

dane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Canon FTb a lot (fully Manual from the times of Rome)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    The T90 also has Matrix Metering as the N8008s and the F-4
    I have three T90 bodys and matrix metering is news to me, and Luigi Colani who designed it too, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_T-90#Metering although it was about twenty years ahead of it's time it wasn't that advanced
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I made a mistake inadvertently. Sorry. I still love my T90 and I think it has an exceptional meter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin