Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,793   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon AV 1

Shooter
    35mm

Canon AV 1

I found a few of those here in holland. But i really know nothing about them. How are they to handle and what are the problems to look out for? There is something sexy retro about them. Don't know what. Would be great in my bag next to my EOS 5

Last edited by Mr.canon; 09-05-2010 at 07:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes thats all fine but doenst state any problems. i could have. I am looking further. Need to know more

Shooter
    35mm
    The only thing I would say is that bearing in mind this camera dates back to the early 1980's, you'd almost certainly need to replace the light seals if they haven't already been done. I don't know of any specific problems relating to the AV-1, but the fact that it is auto-only (aperture priority) would put me off buying it, although it's fine as an additional body if you have manual equivalents.

As this model will be dependent on battery power, I'd check on how easily available the batteries are to get hold of.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm RF
    And this camera can't share lenses with the EOS cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    And this camera can't share lenses with the EOS cameras.
    Thought that but that isnt really a problem, as i just want to use it as point and shoot

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
    The only thing I would say is that bearing in mind this camera dates back to the early 1980's, you'd almost certainly need to replace the light seals if they haven't already been done. I don't know of any specific problems relating to the AV-1, but the fact that it is auto-only (aperture priority) would put me off buying it, although it's fine as an additional body if you have manual equivalents.

As this model will be dependent on battery power, I'd check on how easily available the batteries are to get hold of.
    As for the seals will see. Are there other models wich are a bit better? So with that i mean not full auto? Not looking for a modern type cam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.canon View Post
    As for the seals will see. Are there other models wich are a bit better? So with that i mean not full auto? Not looking for a modern type cam.
    Personally, I'd rather have an AE-1 which is both auto and manual, or the later model called the AE-1 Program. Again this dates back to the early to mid-1980's, but is certainly more versatile than the AV-1.

Alternatively, you can pick up an A-1 which was Canon's flagship A-series SLR at the time of production. This will offer full manual, aperture and shutter priority, and program whereby it will set both shutter speed and aperture for you. The A-1 was introduced in the late 1970's, so again the light seals will need checking.

Both the AE-1 Program and A-1 were very popular cameras and when you come across one in good working order, you'll certainly enjoy using them.
    Carl.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have one of these. Works perfectly well. The "backlight compensation button" didn't work at first, but it was a easy fix. Haven't replaced any seals, because it doesn't seem to have any lightleaks. Works only in aperture-value mode, but it's the mode I use the most on my EOS 30 aswell, so no problems there. Great for point and shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin