Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,756   Online: 852

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Depending on your MF camera, unless it is plastic, a 35mm camera probably won't measure up. Does simple mean all auto or all manual? Does it mean an slr that you have to put the lens on or a small fixed lens camera? There are plastic 35mm cameras too. All the major camera makers make good cameras and you aren't going to spend much money on ebay.. you can buy three or four.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    You know, I've noticed that you almost never hear anyone say "I started with camera X, but it wasn't a very good starter and I wish I'd used camera Y instead". Everyone likes whatever their first "real" camera was. There must be exceptions, but there don't seem to be many of them.

From this I conclude that it doesn't much matter where you start, and that "get something that seems like a good idea at the time" is probably good general advice.

-NT
    Bingo!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Ok, I'll do the Leica reccomendation... ;-)
    (Being no fan at all of Canon EOS). ...
    Knew it. Don't worry, Canon has been suggested by someone else. We're almost complete now.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi RHG and welcome to APUG. Get any camera you like that works and is affordable.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You'll find professional gear from the 80-ies for about 100 USD and up. Consumer grade cameras goes for half of that or much less (at least here in Sweden). Before you buy, you should handle a few different cameras and try to get a feel for what you would enjoy using.

Your main choices will be
    - compact camera, SLR or rangefinder
    - automated or manual fokus and exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll do a specific Canon recommendation (even though I already did a general one), just to fill in the gap, Ralph.

When it comes to getting a basic Canon, I suggest that an A-1 or AE-1P are fine cameras, and cheap. I like the FTb better, personally, but I have had to repair both of mine, while I've never had to repair an A-1 or AE-1. I view them as good, cheap, bang-around cameras that just happen to get the job done just fine every time I use them.

I really prefer shooting with the F-1 and FTb, but as I said, the others get the job done and have never given me problems.

I don't think Canon is any better to start with than any of the other brands I mentioned. In fact, while I love the system itself, it does have the possibly-major disadvantage of being an "orphaned" system. I think if forward compatibility of lenses is a factor in your decision, a Nikon AI body is an excellent choice.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As has been said before, most cameras will do fine.

If you have friends close by with a lot of 35mm stuff however it might be a good idea to get the same system.
    You could borrow/share equipment (perhaps you will do most of the borrowing to start with) and you could get questions answered (but then there is always apug for that part).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Knew it. Don't worry, Canon has been suggested by someone else. We're almost complete now.
    Ummm...Fujica, Petri, Ricoh, Topcon, Miranda, Konica, Praktica...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format

try them all

I've tried an awful lot of them both good and bad, but the best all round camera for me is definately not the best camera to me. My favourite 135 by a long shot is the canon AE-1. Its incredibly versatile and usable as far as I'm concerned and the build quality is second to none. the f-1 is even better by a long shot in my opinion - but I've little inclination to use that either. I've an early EOS which I've been threatening to sell since the day i bought it and a fujica something or other and an olympus something or other also in the same boat. My Nikon F is a supreme piece of enginering which I can't fault in any way but I cant remember the last time I even touched it.... and all because I bought myself a Pentax ME super at a garage sale oneday on the grounds that it was cheap and I was bored. It's not half the camera that most of the canons or nikons are. The build quality is very good but some others are better. the mechanics feel ok but definately not as smooth as some. I seriously dislike the shutter speeds being displayed by a series of LED's and operated by pushbutton but now I have 3 of them and don't realy want for much else because for me it just seems right. they are compact, the automatic settings work very well when i'm feeling lazy, If they were stolen tomorrow i wouldn't cry because they are cheap to replace and lenses are more plentiful and inexpensive than most of the rest of the big names. I can run the me super down but its not because its a bad camera. its only because others are better but im more at home with the pentax for some reason so thats what best for me. oh and I can still cary on using an ME if the batteries let me down
    My advice is that you play the field for a while and oneday you'll get lucky and fall in love just when you didn't expect to!
    Last edited by cp16; 09-06-2010 at 06:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I grew up with 35 mm slrs. My favourite nowadays in 35 mm is different high end compacts. Why? Portability, speed and lens quality. For thoughtful and precise photography I prefer larger negatives, which you already can produce.

My favourites are a konica hexar (coupled with acros or super presto), a Rollei 35 (with tmax or neopan400) and a yashica rangefinder (not really high end or compact, but still good lens). The fixed lens cameras makes you look at the world differently from a slr with a multitude of lenses. Not for everyone maybe, you mileage may vary as people here say.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin