Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,171   Online: 797

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Simpler is better, so start with an all manual camera. The one that gets mentioned the most often is the Pentax K1000, but I also like other Japanese models, including a Nikon FM or the Nikon FE (if you want autoexposure).

With most Japanese cameras, if it's from the 1980s or earlier, you'll want to have those foam seals replaced.
    I would recommend the FG over the FM.....I'm switching from the FG to FE right now, and I think the features of the FG are great for the beginner yet allow you to grow as a photographer in terms of taking chances and learning all you can. The FM is a very limiting camera versus the FG, though still a great model. I'm beginning to dive into my FE and once again, I'm falling in love with experimentation on a more "oooo, this feature does this, that feature does that" level. The FE is definitely more advanced and does offer the semi-automatic feature with the MD-12. As for the K1000, you can never go wrong with these. This was my first SLR and I learned a great deal with it, but is very limiting to some degree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    You know, I've noticed that you almost never hear anyone say "I started with camera X, but it wasn't a very good starter and I wish I'd used camera Y instead". Everyone likes whatever their first "real" camera was. There must be exceptions, but there don't seem to be many of them.

From this I conclude that it doesn't much matter where you start, and that "get something that seems like a good idea at the time" is probably good general advice.

-NT
    I was thinking about that when making my last reply....I was contemplating about jumping into a camera with a readily available and semi-cheap lens series. It got me thinking about jumping from Pentax to Nikon changed everything. For a little while, I did the whole "two cameras" thing, but eventually the Nikon won out and I almost want to say I wish I originally started with my FG than with the Pentax. At the same time, I am really happy to have used the Pentax and have it in my arsenal still. I might even bring it out once and awhile now.

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Fujica 605 and Pentax Spotmatic are classic compact SLRs but weigh 20 ounces body only. Add 10 for a lens, and you're toting almost 2 pounds.
    If you are talking available in your purse, I'd suggest a 35mm rangefinder: Konica C35, the Olympus RFs others have suggested, the little Rollei scale focus RF. What is your budget?

http://www.cameraquest.com/rol35se.htm

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin