Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,157   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Reccommend a 35mm camera to me

Hi everyone

I'm new to analogue photography and I am currently using a medium format camera, however I would love to use 35mm but have no idea where to start! Please excuse my total ignorance. I'd like a simple camera that will get me started in the world of 35mm analogue photography, if anyone can give me any advice at all I would really really appreciate it.

RHG

Shooter
    35mm
    As a reference, what MF camera do you have now? Are you looking for autofocus or manual? Auto exposure - full or limited, or full manual only?

Also, rangefinder (fixed or interchangeable lens) or SLR?
    Last edited by Les Sarile; 09-05-2010 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RHG

Welcome to APUG. Without mentioning your area of photography and if you have a preference for automatic, manual, rangefinder or SLR, these types of requests don't work very well. You will undoubtably get as many recommendations as there are cameras.

Used analog cameras are cheap these days. Pick a name-brand model and start with the focal length equivalent of what you used with your MF camera. There isn't much you can do wrong and the financial investment will be small. If you don't like it, you can sell it again.

Now watch and see how everyone promotes what they use or have:
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 09-05-2010 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome To APUG,

Hi R.H.G.,

I'm leaving to go on vacation in a few minutes.
    I would recommend any of the Minolta cameras,
    that's what I use. An XE-7 if you can get one.
    Or an SRT-202 would be an excellent choice.
    Depending on the features that you need.
    We have 43,600 members. You will have at least
    5,287 recommendations within the next 24 Hours.

I'm Just Saying ...

Ron
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 09-05-2010 at 08:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    ... that's what
    I use. ...
    Told you, and what else can one recommend?
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 09-05-2010 at 08:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are so many good basic 35mm cameras out there. They are usally inexpensive. Just look up KEH.
    Pentax K1000 and the Canon FTb are good choices among many. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going to suggest something a little different. Something like stray rescue. Start rummaging through thrift stores and let your 35 mm camera find you. I found a Mamiya Sekor that way with the sharpest lens for just $12. Just start looking for a stray to love.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    “You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.”

Yogi Berra

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Simpler is better, so start with an all manual camera. The one that gets mentioned the most often is the Pentax K1000, but I also like other Japanese models, including a Nikon FM or the Nikon FE (if you want autoexposure).

With most Japanese cameras, if it's from the 1980s or earlier, you'll want to have those foam seals replaced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Love at first sight.

the OP did not say anything about an SLR. So anything would do.

If you don't have a friend with a 35mm to borrow the next best thing would be to peruse the inventory at a camera store or a thrift shop as has been suggested.
    I think you should do the "feel me, touch me" exercise as intimacy with your equipment will lead to greater satisfaction rather than rejection due to inexperience and lack of hands on knowledge.

I wish I had followed that advice.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin