Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,582   Online: 1196

Shooter
    Multi Format

EOS 3 00 aperture issue

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem every now and then with my EOS 3. When shooting the aperture will show 00 and I will have to remove the lens and remount it to continue. The rest of the controls all work fine, it is just the aperture that shows 00 and the shutter won't release until I remount the lens.

Now I thought this might be a lens related issue (Tamron 28-75) but there is no such problem with a Rebel 2000 body I also have. I have another cheap Canon zoom that I could use but I don't want to burn film for that as the issue is not very frequent. It happened maybe 5-6 times over 10 rolls.

I also get the impression it is only happening when film is loaded as I fired off a hundred or so frames with no film and there were no issues.

Has anyone had any such issues? I thought it might be a battery problem but I replaced the battery with a new one and made sure all contacts in the chamber and lens mount are clean, yet it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Anyone else with such problems? Not a big issue, I can get another body for £70-100, but it is annoying.
    Hasselblad 501CM, Mamiya RB67SD, Rollei 6003SRC, Nikonos V, Canon EOS 3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IME, 0.0 means that the camera thinks there is not a lens mounted. The very first thing I would try is to clean your electrical contacts with a red eraser (like the kind on the back of a wooden pencil). If the simple fix doesn't work, then you should take it to a repair person.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thought so. Well I'll keep it till it dies, I can get another one for quite a bit less than the repair will be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you checked the contact switch underneath the lens mount, take the lens off, hold the camera in front of you, looking at the mirror box, the contact switch is at the 9' o clock position just under the rim.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I may be wrong, as this is really pushing my memory, but when I was repairing Canon's we did have an issue with some lenses (non-Canon) on certain bodies (mostly the EOS 3 and A2E) that had eye control focussing....

There was some sort of incompatibility between the CPU in the lens and the bodies with eye control - this is why it works on your other EOS body......

And please be careful checking the lens switch - if you push it too far you can bend the switch - this means a full stip of the camera so you can straignten (or replace) the bent switch.

I would clean the contacts on both the lens and the body - some alcohol on a q tip works well..

If this doesn't work then maybe use another body..like a 1N - it should be fine on one of those..
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm...could be the compatibility thing. I have cleaned all the contacts and everything seems to be as it should be. The lens is secured fine and I had a 50/1.8 which I used a lot with it and never had an issue. Unfortunatelly I sold it as I'll get the ZE50/1.4 but I haven't bought one yet. The only other Canon lens I have is a 28-90 kit zoom which I'm not going to burn film with.

I was going to buy a second 3 body just to have as backup, I'll have to rethink that now, might have to get a 1V. It makes me wonder if the ZE50 will have issues with the 3 too...?

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have (had) two Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR DI, one from China and one from Japan. The first (from China) did not activate the central AF cross sensor on the EOS3, the second does. On both of my EOS3's the Japan lens works perfect; the China did too (except the AF issue) until it was stolen.

Compatibility problems with 3rd party lenses on Canon bodies usually occur with bodies younger than the lens. But the EOS3 was introduced way before the Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR DI.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine's a Japanese one which I bought recently, they may have had changed something over the years...anyway. I shot a couple of rolls this morning and didn't have any issues, who knows, could be that the body is slowly developing an issue. I think this is just a wait and see thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    if it hasn't been said already, it could be the electronic components decaying from/or water damage?
    What is one to do as one watches humanity slowly destroy itself?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep! My Digital Rebel throws the A00 when I use my EOS>Nikon adapter and my Nikon glass from my 35mm's. I'm not sure really if the 35mm Canons do it but I know my Digital will shoot without a lens mounted, mirror flappin in the breeze (makes for some cool effects if you're shooting at night) and I'm not sure why Canon allowed that (possible use with old FD "L" lenses on an adapter?) I know guys who have upper echelon Canon digital bodies and use FD adapters with 300mm and various other L lenses designed for the FD mount.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin