Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,465   Online: 760

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not 35mm, but ....

Trying to find the start mark on a Koni-Omega back. Now that is hard!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one time I tried to load an old Leica, it looked like I was the one that was loaded.
    I think I would have had better luck loaded. One roll was fine. The second has some really cool double exposures for the first almost 10 frames or so. I think I'd probably loaded it ok, but I thought I didn't, so I unloaded it and started over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I think I would have had better luck loaded. One roll was fine. The second has some really cool double exposures for the first almost 10 frames or so. I think I'd probably loaded it ok, but I thought I didn't, so I unloaded it and started over.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's amusing to read this thread. I had a Pentax K1000 for around twenty years and never found it easy to load. Recently I bought a Nikon F and found that the film almost fell into place. If you want difficult try loading a Fuji GW690 whilst you are standing up. But then someone will tell you it is the easiest camera ever to load.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I've been doing it this way for over 35 years. Dang! All this time I thought I invented the technique!

Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post

...But the best tip I ever heard was from a Pentax rep.

Basically, he said to reverse the loading instructions:

first, holding the open camera in your right hand and the film casette in your left, insert the leader into the takeup spool (yes, BEFORE you put the film cassette into the camera); then turn the spool with your thumb, wrapping the film around it securely;

THEN pull the cassette back over to the left side of the camera and drop it into its place.

Take the slack out with the rewind lever, close the back, and fire off a couple of frames... and you're done.

Once you get the hang of this "backwards" technique, it is very fast and secure.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think he's a candidate for digital!
    Definitely not. I've just not had to deal with cameras that load that way much before. It never came easily to me. Nobody showed me, so I had to figure it out myself. I'm much more comfortable with 120/220, 4x5, and the Canon EOS 35mm system, which I find are all easier to load.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some Nikons are made to be loaded in haste. I think my F6 is that way. It has a spring-loaded lip at the left side of the cassette chamber. If i fidget with the cassette, I need multiple attempts to seat it properly. If I jam it in, it works on the first try.
    YMMV and don't blame me if you waste your Nikon!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xxloverxx
    I find my Zorki 4 requires a bit of attention while loading. It's not "hard", but I need to make sure the film leader goes into the takeup spool "straight", else the film just creases on itself. I guess the clip's just a bit loose.
    I have several FSU models, and they all require attention. I also wouldn't say they are "hard" to load. But they do require that you know what you're doing.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I have several FSU models, and they all require attention. I also wouldn't say they are "hard" to load. But they do require that you know what you're doing.

MB
    Just like my Rollei 35. Loading it is completely different than with a normal 135 camera. You get used to it but only just.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Screw-mount Leicas have been the hardest for me

Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Here is something I have learned. On the FM once I think I have it loaded I rewind the film until I have some tension in it so that when I wind the camera I can see the rewind knob turn when I advance the film that way I know the film is advancing.
    ^^ this is what I do, and it has helped every time (along with trimming the leader.)
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin