Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,696   Online: 873

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why go al the way when you can have practically everything with an F-100 for a fraction of the cost? I still like my F-1 and F-2 better than the F-6

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Why go al the way when you can have practically everything with an F-100 for a fraction of the cost? I still like my F-1 and F-2 better than the F-6
    Hey, an F80 only has a few features less than the F100 and is even cheaper still!

Shooter
    35mm
    Well,...I have them all; but I can tell you that the T90 is no lesser cat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First, a big Thank You, to all whom responded, it was very helpful.

The F6… WOW…. A monster of a camera, with an equally monster price!

So.. To cut to the chase, I chose the F5.

I got an F5, in good condition, for just under $400. While price was not the only factor, it was a realistic factor, as used F6’s in similar condition were anywhere from $1,200 to about $1,600. Would rather “eat or pay the rent”!

Other factors, besides the price included, the feel of the F5 compared to the F6… the F5 weighs probably more than my old F and F2 combined (with their finders attached!) meaning it’s a solid camera.

The interchangeable finder of the F5, (F6, finder is fixed) and numerous choices of focusing screens, the use of common, everyday, sold everywhere “AA” batteries as opposed to the F6 battery needs. The incredible continuous shooting speed of the F5 Vs the F6, the numerous locks on the F5 (shutter lock, rewind lock), the extra shutter release for vertical shoots, I could go on and on.

Sure… there are some things I wish the F5 had that the F6 has… such as EV step factor (f/ stop and shutter speed increments) of the F5 which is fixed at 1/3 stops Vs the F6 choices of either 1/3, ½ or 1. The ease of recording of shooting data on the F6 Vs the F5… here too, I could go on and on…

Bottom line, I chose the F5 and I am happy that I did

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a used F5 at a local camera store for $320 and have been very satisfied with it. The F5 already has the vertical grip built in and I think the F6 you have to add on as an extra. Its a big heavy wonderful camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The F6 looks like a very nice camera. Too bad is soooo expensive! I'll keep my F100.

Shooter
    Medium Format

There is nothing like an F5...nothing!

I have many Nikon cameras, both film and digital. I also own a Mamyia MF. But I keep returning to my F5 with its MF-28 multi-control back.There is absolutely nothing like it in functionality, feel and sound--especially the sound of the shutter release.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, let's continue this discussion......about 4 years ago I got my F4s from KEH for I believe around 400 bucks, I again think it was EX. I looked at the F5's at the time and they were much, much more money and you couldn't touch an F6 for under a couple thousand as I recall.

Is now the time to seriously be looking for that "nice" F5? I absolutely positively enjoy every moment I spend with my F4s.....time to start searching KEH again?

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The prices have come down a lot some one recently on the forum got a f5 for $250 and I've seen completed auctions for even less if you have the time to hunt. For me F3s are enough though, they get a bit to big after that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have used both the F5 and F100, and prefer the F100 for one very basic reason. The focus point light indicators. On the F5 they are black and I could never tell which focus point I was using. The F100 indicators are in red and so much easier to see. If you want a vertical release just buy the battery grip.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin