Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,361   Online: 1035

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
    OK, let's continue this discussion......about 4 years ago I got my F4s from KEH for I believe around 400 bucks, I again think it was EX. I looked at the F5's at the time and they were much, much more money and you couldn't touch an F6 for under a couple thousand as I recall.

Is now the time to seriously be looking for that "nice" F5? I absolutely positively enjoy every moment I spend with my F4s.....time to start searching KEH again?

Bob E.
    Hi Bob!

I'd go even further. Recently, I've had the good luck to find a F6 NIB on Amazon for 1200 Euros. Handily stood in for the used one I stupidly sold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have the money, go for F6. If you don't, go for F5. It's that simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i'll use my fmsuntil they'll fall apart,ans there 's no sign of that yet.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm like the kid with his nose on the lolly shop window every time I visit here and finally have an f100 (late serial number) on the way so you are likely to hear my voice a bit more. Unused and hobby by the looks of it and $165. The F5 was just too heavy and I tried to like an F3 but am better suited to the f100. Its for street and Zeiss lenses and Im really happy to be joining everyone here.
    Film is like chocolate and I can eat a ton of it ...you guys know what I mean (grin).

Ant.
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I regularly use the F100 but I've been thinking of picking up a F5 one day. I've never liked F100's matrix metering. I think it underexposes b&w film in some high contrast situations and I don't trust it any longer. Maybe F5's matrix would work better, who knows.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The F5 may have a somewhat better exposure meter, but I didn't find it good enough to give up the F100.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    I regularly use the F100 but I've been thinking of picking up a F5 one day. I've never liked F100's matrix metering. I think it underexposes b&w film in some high contrast situations and I don't trust it any longer. Maybe F5's matrix would work better, who knows.
    I like the F5 a lot but not the matrix meter. I found that it underexposes color negative film (and I would guess the same for B&W) when in high contrast situation. But to its credit, would give good exposure for slides in the same situation. In flat lighting it's ok. So using a fixed exposure compensation would not fix it. So I quit using the matrix meter also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot with a couple F100's along side my Contax 645 during weddings, I've always have tremendous luck and praise for the metering in the F100. If its backlit, than duh, you spot meter. But otherwise, just shoot at half-box speed and it nails it.

I don't like the F5. At all. It is too big (for 35mm IMO), too heavy, and you can't friggin see what AF point your using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my F5 a lot, and my F100 hardly at all - I feel bad about it, actually, but the F5 is such a great camera, it is my go-to film body. An F5 and an F100 make a terrific pair though.

I'd love to own an F6, but at current prices it's hard to justify. The F5 is 95% of the camera, and has features the F6 doesn't have like interchangeable viewfinders.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I use my F5 a lot, and my F100 hardly at all - I feel bad about it, actually, but the F5 is such a great camera, it is my go-to film body. An F5 and an F100 make a terrific pair though.

I'd love to own an F6, but at current prices it's hard to justify. The F5 is 95% of the camera, and has features the F6 doesn't have like interchangeable viewfinders.

The F-100 is much more compact. Has the much better "red" focusing points in the viewfinder (very important when shooting in dim light). Slap the MB-15 accessory grip on the F-100, and you have a better rig than than the F-5.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin