Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,562   Online: 917

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AgX: What yo are seeing as the lustery side is no anti-halation layer but pure film base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromlech View Post
    ah, okay, and the anti is right above the film base?
    There are two ways to place the AH-layer:
    -) above the base as you put it, which means between the emulsion layer and the base
    -) below the base

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All 35mm cartridges load the same way in any particular camera. Just remember that.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    All 35mm cartridges load the same way in any particular camera. Just remember that.
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromlech View Post
    Who would of guessed that the Emulsion side is dull, and the anti coating is lustery?

Me!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    In my days, long ago, as an impoverished student when I loaded my own cassettes from bulk film, I have been known to put the spool into the cassette wrong-way-round, then spend a long time puzzling why it didn't fit the camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi richard

if you can get some reusable 35mm bulk load cartridges you can put the spool
    in upside down, cut the tongue off and re-cut it so you shoot through the film base.

have fun !

john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's an old time projectionist's trick used to tell the emulsion side from the base.
    Wet your lips and pinch the film between your lips. The emulsion will tend to stick to your moistened lips. The base side will not.

It's not really the recommended thing to do. It's not good for the film and it's probably not very good for you, either.

There's an alternate method. Wet your fingers and pinch the film between your moistened thumb and forefinger.
    It works almost as well. If you do it on the tail of the film which is going to be cut off, anyway, you won't do any damage to the picture area.

I wouldn't rely on this trick all the time. I would chalk it up as old-timer's lore.
    However, I have had a couple of situations where I used this trick because it was either too dark to see very well or where I had to find out quickly.

Sometimes the film will be partially threaded through a projector or camera and you'll want to quickly verify that it is threaded correctly. Just wet a finger and touch the tip or the very edge of the film. The tacky side will be the emulsion.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Randy,

If there is a gelatin based coating at the back of the film base, that wetting trick won't work.

Well, then you might go for the taste...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin