Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 817

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Two sides to my 35mm film?!

Let me give some background information:

I have shot and used Ilford HP-5 to good use, in an Argus C3. No issues there, even though this loads right to left.

I recently got some Arista Ultra. 400 ISO. I go to use my Pentax K1000, and I look at the film.... there's TWO sides! One looks like the emulsion side (lustery, reflecting light) and the other side is a dull olive/drab green color. So, I went ahead and tried to load it with the luster side facing the lens.. I cam't do it without having the PORTRUDING side of the canister at the top! The only side that will load (and rewind) correctly is the olive drab side.

Am I doing something wrong? I feel retarded, but I just had to ask. I've already took 6 shots with this, and lost a whole entire roll over the first try-around.

Thanks,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are using the side curls toward the spool it comes off, you should be ok.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve,

I'm just going the only way the film canister will seat itself... the portruding end facing down wards, and pulling the film across to the right side with the advance lever.

I've just never seen an emulsion side look like this, which is why it bothers me. But it just doesnt want to work any other way without forcing it.

Richard
    Anyone know more about this? Thanks!
    Last edited by Cromlech; 09-10-2010 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you are ok.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Steve.

Just to be doubly sure, I will upload a cell snap to the forum of both sides of the film for you to see.

Coming soon.

Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is only one way everything fits. That will be the right way. Don't worry about the color of a film you have never used before ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    There is only one way everything fits. That will be the right way. Don't worry about the color of a film you have never used before ...
    Yes.

Before taking the sna, I decided to google: the dull side of film.

Who would of guessed that the Emulsion side is dull, and the anti coating is lustery?

Looks like my first roll on my Pentax wouldn't of came out anyways!

Quite okay, regardless.

Thanks everyone, I feel much much better.

23 rolls left!

Richard

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromlech View Post
    Who would of guessed that the Emulsion side is dull, and the anti coating is lustery?
    What yo are seeing as the lustery side is no anti-halation layer but pure film base.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What yo are seeing as the lustery side is no anti-halation layer but pure film base.
    ah, okay, and the anti is right above the film base?

I have a diagram in one of my books, but I never really looked to hard at it. I just had trouble indetifying which side was which.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you are into pictorialist work or just want to try something different, you can shoot through the base of your film if you pull the film out in a darkbag, cut and re-attach (how you do this is up to you) it with the emulsion facing the other way, then wind the spool back in on the top until only the leader sticks out and load the canister as it will and your film will be shot on the wrong side. This is usually quite useless with black and white film, but with color (I recommend expired C-41 films so as not to waste the good stuff!) you will get an effect called red scaling, or whatever they call it now. What you do is shoot through the film base, anti halation later and reach the cyan layer first (reverse of red). The light then hits the magenta layer (green) and does not reach the yellow layer because of the filter that removes blue light. Usually the images are a deep monochrome red or a strange mixture of red and green with yellows. Its interesting to try, although I have not found it to be of any use for my work, you may for yours. Also, since you are losing some of your light through the film base and by not recording any blues, it is usually best to compensate with a factor of 2 - 3 stops, or as you see fit when you see your results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin