Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,702   Online: 815

View Poll Results: F3 or F4??

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon F4

34 97.14%
  • Nikon F3

1 2.86%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried to vote but it keeps giving me You did not select an option to vote for. Please press back to return to the poll and choose an option before voting.

Anyway, I have 2 F3s (purchased new) and like them because they are simple, acurate, nimble, and a joy to use. I like the interchangable finders and mirror lock up and they have never failed me in 32 years.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I use an FM2 and used to have an F3hp. I think these two are quite similar in handling and that may be important to you. The meter read out on the FM2 is better, I think, than the F3's but the hp's viewfinder in general is great. The F3 also has a great motordrive which will charge along at 6fps. You can take off the prism which is useful for very low level shooting such as when the camera is on the ground. The F3 feels extremely sturdy, more so than the FM2 and, in fact, is probably a better camera but for one aspect. The sync speed on the F3 is 1/80 compared to 1/250 on the FM2. For that reason more than any other (the other issue being meter read out) I sold the F3 and kept the FM2.

The poll didn't work for me either.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F3 will take more abuse than should be given to a camera. The F4 has the matrix and spot metering plus AF.
    Personally, I'd take the F3 over the F4. Just my two cents.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Stupid poll! :-)

Ok thanks guys, I think I have definitely made up my mind, F4 it is, I'll give that a go!

Thanks everybody.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get a chance, try the F4 with an AF-s lens and I think you will be surprised at how good the AF is – a lot faster than a standard AF lens.
    (for when you become a rich artist..........)

David.
    http://davidalockwood.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have all of them. I like the F3HP a lot, but so do I the F, F2, F3, F4, Go for the F4; later you can get an F-100 or FM3A

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon's first SLR, the F, the first revolution.
    The Nikon F2 was just a reworked F.
    The Nikon F3 was an electronic F2, still merely evolution, not revolution.

The F4 is the world's first professional autofocus camera. Today, slow but not bad.
    The F4 is the world's first professional camera with a built-in motor drive.
    The F4 is the world's first professional camera with modern Matrix (intelligent) light metering.

The F5 was simply the F4 in a tougher package, but with knobs replaced by buttons and menus. The F4 has dedicated knobs for everything. The F5's meter is worse than the F4's when used with manual focus lenses.

The F6 is a lighter-duty F5, but at least one can get Matrix metering with manual focus lenses on the F6, which the F5 can't. You have to program menus to get matrix metering with manual lenses on the F6; all you have to do on the F4 is mount a lens.

by Ken.

-------------------------

In my opinion, you can choise F4 (without F4s, F4e because its heavy) is the best for AI/AIS.
    F4 | AIS 1.2
    QL17 GIII black | silver

Shooter
    35mm
    You have to carry 'The Matrix' in your head with the f and f2, but that doesn't make them lesser cameras. Give me a Totally Manual camera anytime

Shooter
    35mm RF
    F5 with autofocus lenses.
    Have never looked back after that.
    F5 is cheap to buy these days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    F4. I've owned many F3's over the years (anyone who also hangs out in the manual focus SLR forum @ Nikonians can attest to that most likely), but, when it came time to add an F2AS to the bag, it wasn't the F4 that disappeared. Was the Nikon F3P that disappeared. It seems that I don't have the desire to own an F3 anymore.

The F3 is a good camera, but, the F4 trounces it.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin