Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,388   Online: 1080

View Poll Results: F3 or F4??

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon F4

34 97.14%
  • Nikon F3

1 2.86%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to admit that I have both and use both for different reasons and different lenses. After I bought 2 Nikon F2 I had to think hard before I bought the F3. I didn't want a camera with batteries, but after Nikon RAISED the price of an F2 and LOWERED the price of an F3, I just bought an F3HP. I have loved it ever since. It's a great camera. Absolutely reliable

Shooter
    Multi Format

"You did not select an option to vote for"...

If I could Id vote for the F3. Its more compact, lighter got the options needed and is just a great camera. If I want to shoot an AF camera I'd go for one of the "to modern" cameras, F5, F90X or F100.
    Best regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you like the older mechanical Nikons, then why are you looking at F3's and F4's? Why not one of these: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f2as.htm?

If it must be a choice between F3 and F4, I'd go with the F3. See Nambun's post on the second page of the thread. The F3 was the last of the Nikon pro SLRs that simply felt like an updated version of the F. It is to the '69/'70 Mustang what the F2 is to the '67/'68 Mustang, and what the F is to the '65/'66 Mustang. Despite their differences, these cars all looked and felt like they owed a lot to the original concept and design of the Mustang. After that, it goes to shit for both Nikons and Mustangs.

So, since you say you like the older mechanical SLRs, I would say to cross the F4 off of your list and compare Fs, F2s, and F3s.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-24-2010 at 04:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
    Not to be argumentative or anything Ken but both the above features were out in the Canon T90 before the F4 was released..

My vote though was for the F4. I have both the F3HP and F4. Both are nice cameras but the F4 is an amazing beast. I do though think I prefer my T90s over the F3 or F4 but a lot of that could be due to all the years I spent using those T90s.
    These are my thoughts exactly. I reach for the T90 automatically; I reach for the F4 for a change of pace periodically.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's something wrong on the code of this poll.

When I tried to vote for F3, my vote was rejected with a statement saying that "I haven't selected any option".

Then I tried to vote for F4 just to see if I was having problems with my computer or with the internet connection, and the vote was immeditely registered.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its a conspiracy propagated by the F4 crowd.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another option, if you want an F3, just get an FA. Same meter readout, but faster flash synch and normal ISO TTL flash shoe without the expensive AS-17 adapter.

Personally, I'd probably just pick up a second FM2n. Whatever accessories that the OP has for their FM2n will work on it, controls are in the same spot, since, after all, it's the same camera. If the need for a pro body is truly there, then, find a decent F2AS, since it has a very similar meter readout with the same 1/5 stop accuracy...

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin