Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,670   Online: 701

View Poll Results: F3 or F4??

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon F4

34 97.14%
  • Nikon F3

1 2.86%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F3 or Nikon F4?

Hi guys, great site!

Was wondering the last couple of days, should I get a Nikon F3 or a Nikon F4? I have a amazing Nikon FM2n already and want to get a second body. I own a couple of lenses, most of them are AI and not AI-S what difference will this make on the F3/F4?

So yea, can't make up my mind. I love the old mechanic style of cameras (á la FM2n) hence why I wanted to get a F3 but I feel like it might be a little bit too similar to the FM2n? I thought F4 might be great because you get lovely metering with the AI lenses.

I am not interested in F100 or F5's since they are "too modern" I actually have a F5 at the moment which I will sell. I haven't touched it since I got my FM2n.

Also might note that I am on a budget, and I can probably get a F3 body for $100, a F4 will probably be $50 or $100 bucks extra, and I am a poor artist

Anyway, F3 or F4, pro's and con's?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd go fot the F4as, meself. I have both. The F3 with the motor drive is a real beast, let me tell you. Sturdy as an Abrams tank, though. Last longer than we do, for sure. The F4 is a really beautiful machine. I got mine with the 24-120 lens as a kit and it is all one ever might need in the line of a 35 camera. It will do whatever needs be done for you. So go F4.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a Nikon user, but if and when I do, I'll lean toward the F3.

Jeff

Images
    I had a F3. Loved it, wonderful camera and the smoothest advance on any camera I've ever owned. Sold it to buy a F4. With the F4, I get matrix metering (along with spot and center-weighted metering) with all my Ai/Ais lenses. That's the main reason for the change. The AF of the F4 is slow compared to today's standard but it is still nice to have sometimes so I can use my AF Nikkors.

I also own a F2, FM and a FE.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They're both great cameras.

All things being equal, I'd suggest the F4. You get TTL and spot metering even with older lenses. You still get a solidly built camera that is reliable years into the future. You get a very ergnomic, easy to handle camera.

You also get a higher flash synch, FWIW and wider choice of shutter speeds. I've owned both.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get a Nikon F100. Save yourself headaches.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want something close to the FM2n get the F3. Very easy to handle and not much larger or heavier.The F4 gives additional capabilities but is larger and heavier, though the plain F4 is better in that regard.

Make sure you like the meter readout on the F3. I like my F3HP but i think the readout, especially on manual. is too dinky. Oh, and the meter illuminator might well not work.

If you can, try them both. If you can't, get the one you think you want, and if you don't like it you can sell it for about what you paid and get the other.

BTW, the poll would not accept my vote for the F3, so I clicked F4 and it accepted it. The voting's rigged!
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-17-2010 at 06:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never used the FM2n.

I have, however, owned and used the Nikon F, F2, F3, and F4 and all were great cameras. The F2 replaced the F and I am still using the F2 (actually three of them). The F4 replaced the F3 and I am still using the F4 (only one). I chose the F4 over the F3 primarily for the auto focus feature. Therefore, I had to cast my vote for the F4 in this poll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an F3, and while it's a great camera (love the viewfinder), I really think the F4 is the better deal. You get AF, and while it's a "nice to have" feature, it's not the real reason I'd choose it over the F3. The real reason is that it has matrix metering and TTL flash capability with any of the older AI and AI"S lenses. The AF system still provides focus confirmation, and the viewfinder is top notch. Yes, it's heavier than the F3 and it uses a lot of batteries by comparison, but they're cheap AA's that are available just about anywhere on the planet.
    Frank Schifano

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin