Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,923   Online: 967

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post

I'm mostly just amused at how thrown I am by what are theoretically conveniences.
    -NT
    By the time matrix metering came along the game was up for any kind of meaningful user control. Just go with the buzzes and beeps... and keep a real camera for when things get too hectic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon T90 is about as Hi-Tech as i wish to go, and I don't use half of it's facility s, I don't like cameras to do my thinking for me or I don't feel that I have created the image it's like painting by numbers.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-19-2010 at 05:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Oh, and of course the darn thing is going to auto-rewind when I finish the roll, and I bet it won't leave me a leader to grab onto, will it? Well, it won't be the first cassette I've opened with a bottle opener in the dark.
    -NT
    Film Leader Retrieval:

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-retriever.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never thought that I would like automation in a 35mm camera. I used to shoot with a Minolta SRT-201 and a couple of X-700's.
    Before those I shot with Exakta VX's which are still very nice manual cameras to use.
    Then a few months ago I bought a Maxxum 8000i and was blown away by the technology. Quick to load, fast metering, AF and custom cards for different scenes. Total automation of picture taking.
    Of course the automation can be turned off and the camera used in manual mode but why bother. The pictures I've taken so far are outstanding.
    I use only B&W film and print them myself so no lab is involved to mess things up.
    Have fun with your new automatic camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. New cameras certainly feel foreign, and they do a lot of useless shit. I cannot pull from my memory any print in which using my EOS film camera has made the print any better than what I would have made with one of my F-1's.

So, why have the EOS camera? Well, it is nice and newish, very reliable, and it allows me to be exceedingly lazy with all of the details, like film winding, changing shutters and apertures, etc. In other words, it is great for shooting things that I don't really care too much about; kind of like a point and shoot. It was very cheap for such a nice and reliable camera. I paid $180 shipped for an EOS 3.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-19-2010 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Six dollars???? Six dollars!!!!

I'm sorry, I can't get past that. You got a (nice) camera for six dollars! That is so cool.

I paid $4.50 for a medium soy latte the other day.

Six dollars! It's your I-don't-care, take-it-anywhere, camera. Embrace it!

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey you guys cool it with the bitchin' about the automation! You will need the automation when you become senile!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    View camera.
    I love this. Can't wait till they release that new Technika with the auto darkcloth feature. It's gonna revolutionize the industry.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    View camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    I love this. Can't wait till they release that new Technika with the auto darkcloth feature. It's gonna revolutionize the industry.
    A SINAR with the DB system features auto aperture (meaning that you don't need to stop down lens after composing and focusing), auto shutter cocking, and automatic closing of the shutter upon insertion of the film holder (meaning that you cannot forget to do this, which would ruin a sheet of film). The only things you need to do after deciding to take the shot are to insert the film holder, pull the dark slide, hit the cable release, and reinsert the dark slide. You never need to look around to the front of the camera for any reason during shooting, as apertures and shutter speeds are selectable from behind the camera.

Of course, there were the Graflex RB cameras as well........
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-19-2010 at 08:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Six dollars???? Six dollars!!!!

I'm sorry, I can't get past that. You got a (nice) camera for six dollars! That is so cool.
    I was on KEH's site yesterday and was flabbergasted at the price of some 35mm bodies. Never mind the $6 Rebels, there are some pretty decent cameras for less than $20.

I want to buy several, but then I barely use the ones I have!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin