Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 798

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I want to buy several, but then I barely use the ones I have!
    This is a persistent problem with me. I usually give in.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yep. New cameras certainly feel foreign, and they do a lot of useless shit. I cannot pull from my memory any print in which using my EOS film camera has made the print any better than what I would have made with one of my F-1's.

So, why have the EOS camera? Well, it is nice and newish, very reliable, and it allows me to be exceedingly lazy with all of the details, like film winding, changing shutters and apertures, etc. In other words, it is great for shooting things that I don't really care too much about; kind of like a point and shoot. It was very cheap for such a nice and reliable camera. I paid $180 shipped for an EOS 3.
    I still love my manual cameras but the new one is so cool. For rapid shooting at airshows and sports events it lets me concentrate on the action without worrying about the settings. For slower more purposeful shooting the manual cameras still win the day for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yep. New cameras certainly feel foreign, and they do a lot of useless shit.
    That's actually one of the virtues of the bottom-of-the-barrel models like my Rebel: Most of the features that are missing that relegate them to bottom-of-the-barrel status are the useless shit!

For all my complainin', I actually think the Rebel X has a pretty decent feature set. Aperture-priority, shutter-priority, full-manual, full-auto; TTL flash; seemingly a reasonably competent meter; will autofocus if you want it to; keeps the dark in. The IR film sensor is a minus in theory, but who shoots IR with an SLR anyway?

Just from eyeballing the negatives, the smoke-test roll looks good. I think it'll make a perfectly good little snapshot camera. And as someone noted it can take L-series lenses---though if I could afford L-series lenses I wouldn't need a six-dollar body to hold them! :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's all a ghost in the machine that makes decisions for us. If we allow machines to do it all for us, our bodies become atrophied and our brains becomes mush. According to the commercials, we end up happier

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I simply don't like to much automation, thats one reason I use cameras that are 50 or more years old, no electronics, no batteries,you have to do everything yourself,in fact I only recently sold my last 2 ''modern'' cameras, a couple of pentax autofocus jobs, in favor of a 60 year old Ensign commando, and I am getting more fun out of the commando than i did the pentax's,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    I have fully automatic cameras and I have manual cameras. While I could live without the autos, I'd find it hard to survive without the clunkers. If there is a sweet spot it may be the Canon AV-1, a model I remember ranting against when it first came out. Aperture priority only, but with a big doughnut override in half stop increments. No push buttons, no LCDs, just a crank handle, a twist focus lens and that can't-miss compensation dial.

On the subject of prices, I bought three (!) mint Minolta AF bodies from the 90s for £17 total. They're so light that if it weren't for the fact they produce pictures I'd swear the things were empty display models. That's an SLR camera for the price of a film. Absolutely crazy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The larger the format I use, the less automated it is. [Well, generally, I have a 35mm folder with no light meter and no rangefinder and a 120 folder with not light meter but it has a rangefinder.]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    This is the funniest rant ever!
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a different experience as I was using My Nikon F5 D200 and N80 and decided to take out my old X700 Minolta. I touched the shutter button and nothing happened after a couple of seconds I realized no autofocus. After taking a picture I started to take a second and nothing happened oh forgot to wind it. Changed to a different film guess I better set that ISO speed. I have to say that I like both old and new systems. I also have a Bronica ETRSi that is completely manual and enjoy using it also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with automation is you have to learn to think like the designer (of the system or software) thinks. Example:Bill Gates probally never had a problem with Windoze 95.

While different levels of automation can be desirable and useful at times, weak batteries can always thrash plans to use same.

Where as, using the most powerful computer known, the human computer, you can self automate and get along fine without any batteries. Just look at some of the most amazing images taken in the past with only manual cameras. Automation is just something else to sell or buy, but not always beneficial or needed.

JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin