Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,542   Online: 893

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't really see a problem in this "automation". As you can switch most of it off. Ive got an EOS 5 and its always in the M modus. The rest is just not usefull i think. And in the M modus its not much different then my AE-1 apart from some auto winding etc. Sure i like shooting with my AE-1 (getting into my 3th roll) but the EOS handels a lot better. Which make sense as it is about 12years younger . What i don't like is what my 450D does for me. Its confusing. If you look at the light meter it says you have to do that but if you shoot the light isnt good? So i always shoot with a lower shutter time then needed. Don't really have that problem with my 5 and AE. And as said in another topic,those pictures are 90% sharp and the light is great. So as long as it isnt digital its great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All modes are useful, just a matter of habit for many photographers what they actually favour most. My EOS 1N is usually in Av mode when intervalometer back E1 is attached; else, the 1N is in Manual so that 2 spot meter readings can be averaged. In a sense, you do the same thing (albeit more intensively) with a spot meter (I know I do with my Sekonic L758 for pinhole work). You can have as much or as little automation you need or want just by altering the camera, or in some cases, the settings on the camera. It's great to get touchy-feely with the entirely manual work of a pinhole camera. I have serious reservations about the extreme level of automation in digi cameras that leaves many otherwise enthusiastic users disenfranchised and upset when results aren't what they expected (because, of course, the camera is doing everything for them...).
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    but advancing the film is what my right hand expects to be doing while I'm concentrating on the image!
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I think I'm gonna go finish up the roll, then realign my brain by shooting a plate camera for a while.
    I wonder what your right hand has been doing all that time you shot plate cameras...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I hate about auto-advancing on my F4 and F5 is that they advance to frame #1. With my F2 and FM I start shooting at frame #0 and it always works. Sometimes even frame #-1 is ok, but I don't rely on it and only shoot a fun shot with it.
    So I lose one frame with the auto-advancing....

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swchris View Post
    What I hate about auto-advancing on my F4 and F5 is that they advance to frame #1. With my F2 and FM I start shooting at frame #0 and it always works. Sometimes even frame #-1 is ok, but I don't rely on it and only shoot a fun shot with it.
    So I lose one frame with the auto-advancing....
    Agreed, that really is a pain. But apart from this inconvenience, I really like many of the automated features found in newer analog bodies. I shoot in Av or Tv mode most of the time, only switching to full manual when necessary. I have to admit though that I completely ignore the eye control (selecting AF point by simply looking at it) on my Elan7. It works, but I don't like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree that there's no law to make you use all the automatic exposure functions and you have the option of using them or not,but you can't switch off the built in motor wind on modern film SLR s which for some types of photography that require stealth renders them useless.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    It's strange, my N80 feels very natural to me because I've been shooting digital slrs for so long. My Nikkormat feels very natural to me because I grew up shooting a Pentax K1000. The FE feels less natural to me because it has some exposure automation like the N80 but has the manual focus of the manual camera.

I think the key is to find a way of creating a photograph so that the camera is a natural extension of the photographer's vision. Not a rigid interpretation of what is correct or incorrect.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin