Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,991   Online: 989

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

To Canon FD Fans

One of my cameras is a Canon AE-1, and I love it for the most part. However, I'm in the market for a different FD-mount camera after finding that once the battery dies, the shutter doesn't function. Will any of the FD-era cameras function with a dead meter battery?

In any case, I imagine that other cameras out there might be more feature-laden. What are some of the "better" cameras that Canon offered? I imagine the New F1 and the A-1 might both be improvements, but I can't find a side-by-side comparison of all the Canon cameras.

Cheers!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! Many can be used w/o batteries. Here's a great place to do comparisons.... http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...f.html?lang=us

I'll speak what I know the most about, and that's the Canon EF. It's a fabulous camera! It's half electronic, and half mechanical. The common speeds we all use, 1/1000 to 1/2" are all mechanical, thus no batteries required. From 1" to 30" (yes, there's a dial for 30 seconds!) are electronically controlled. BULB setting is naturally, mechanical.

The meter takes two commonly available alkaline batteries and gives dead on exposures (slide film, no problem) because it has a compensating circuit that regulates the voltage. Not to mention it's a silicon meter that goes down to EV -2.

It's got mirror-lock-up, multiple exposures, flash sync of 1/125", etc., and it's very intuitive to use.

Simply put, I love it.

Other mechanical cameras that I know of are the old F-1 and the FTb. I'm sure there are many others.

More on the EF.... http://www.mikegrigsby.com/html/canon_ef.html
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have an AE-1 and a recently-acquired F-1N (with AE finder). If the battery fails on the F-1 -- I use a Silver Oxide 6V, same size as AE-1 battery -- the mechanical shutter speeds are 1/2000 to 1/125 sec., "S" (1/90 sec.), and "B" (bulb). I haven't had battery failure, yet, as I check my battery before going out, and usually carry a spare.

I've had the AE-1 since about 1978; still works perfectly. However, I now use the F-1, almost exclusively; it's a great, solid camera. I bought mine through KEH (http://www.keh.com/).

The above post finds another good resource. I've never used the EF, but have heard nothing but very good things about them.

The following site holds an archive of information/descriptions on the entire FD line-up, with links on each page to other dedicated products, including cameras, lenses, and accessories. I hope you find it useful:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../ae1/index.htm

Happy hunting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +EF. Totally Mechanical: FT, FTb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew, does the F1-N use the same battery as my AE-1? If not, what style batteries does it use, and where can I get them?

Hearing more and more good things about the F-1 series, though not sure about which "generation" would be best...
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any of the ones with fully mechanical shutters will work without the battery at all speeds. FTb, F-1 ('70's models), and TLb, for example. The EF will work without a battery from 1/2 sec. to '1000 sec., and it has a '125 flash synch due to its unique shutter among FD cameras.

Take a look at this page from the Canon Website for some info: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c.../series_f.html.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes the F1-N uses the same battery as the AE-1.
    Excellent camera. Its heavy, but fits in the hand nicely.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you get a 'New' F-1; get it with the AE Finder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is the AE finder?
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The AE finder allows you to shoot aperture priority. The Standard finder will only allow you to shoot manually. The AE finder works when you turn the shutter dial to the "A". The meter on the left will disappear and a new meter appears that shows what shutter speed the camera will be shooting at. I love the F-1n. It's built like a tank. Weighs as much as one too I've ran over a thousand rolls through the camera in the past 20 years and it still runs like a champ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin