Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,781   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What to do with my FD cameras ?

Hey all !

So I'm presented with a dilemma. I have two Canon FD cameras (well, 3, actually ...). An AE1-P, and an A1. Both are in dire need of a CLA (squeaky mirror, for starters), but only want one 35mm SLR for taking spur of the moment handhelds.

The thought of getting a Nikon F100 has crossed my mind, but already have such a collection of FD lenses, I don't wanna start again :P

So, do I get a CLA done on the AE-1P, the A1, OR fork out and get an F1N (or even a T90) ?
    Pricewise, it'll all cost about the same (I think), and I am more emotionally attached to the lenses than to the cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are all good. With the New F-1 ca'nt go wrong. Each one of my FD's has a different purpose. The FD glass is excellent; with rare exceptions. I have hundreds. They are dirt cheap today.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do you actually want a 4th FD body? And who's to say it wouldn't need a cla, maybe not right away but sooner then you would want. I'd say look at your film consumption and base your decision on that. 1 roll a month, don't buy anything. 2 rolls a month keep your camera in good condition. 3 rolls a month, get a body you've always longed for.
    I've found that cameras are like cats. You can wind up with too many too fast and they seem to never go away.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd say to sell one and put the $ toward a CLA. A good CLA on even an AE-1P will result in a much better camera than any non-CLA'd camera, even the F1 or T90.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As cheap as AE1's & P's are it's not worth spending much for a CLA. Put the AE bodies up for sale & take that plus the $$ you would spend for a CLA & buy the F1n.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out KEH and see what the prices are.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been through the buying spree, buying another camera when the one on hand doesn't work as it should. Today I feel that it is false economy - how would you know the next camera works okay? The only reasonable way (as I see it, YMMV) is to get a CLA for the camera in hand. My own camera was CLA'd 4 years ago and is still ticking along.

As a bonus, my negatives are more evenly exposed and I know the mistakes are on me and not because of a possibly malfunctioning camera.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    i just turned six non-working a-series cameras into three functioning ones. a little diy goes a long way. i am no camera tech but with a syringe, some watch oil and some light seals you would be surprised what a few hours can achieve. i now have 2 working black ae-1 programs and an a-1 (i already use a new f-1 and a chrome ae-1p) that will provide me with some cash to buy other things i will use (like film and strobe gels).

if the cameras worked would you still want a different one? if so just do it and get the new f-1. the t90 is good for the metering but its plastic body doesn't feel as good as the f-1. when you can be bothered fix the old ones and sell them to someone who would love them. i have had these cameras for 4 years or more waiting for me to fix them and i finally did it and if i can, anyone can.

dane.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm ... with 3 FD cameras lying around, I'm sure I can "sacrifice" one in order to try and fix it ...

Where did you find the howto do this ? I'm resonably ok when it comes to DIY ...

For what it's worth, all my FD cameras have a squeaky mirror, and the film advance feels a little stiff ...

Quote Originally Posted by danegermouse View Post
    i just turned six non-working a-series cameras into three functioning ones. a little diy goes a long way. i am no camera tech but with a syringe, some watch oil and some light seals you would be surprised what a few hours can achieve. i now have 2 working black ae-1 programs and an a-1 (i already use a new f-1 and a chrome ae-1p) that will provide me with some cash to buy other things i will use (like film and strobe gels).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would fork out for the T90. Great camera. Second choice would be the F1N. Last choice would be having the A-1 or AE-1P CLA'd. In fact, I disposed of mine before I would spend any more money on them, too many other cameras I enjoy shooting with more than I did those two.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin