Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,355   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikkor AIS 35mm f1.4 - what to do

In 2000, I bought a new F3HP and a new AIS 35mm f1.4 to go with it (my first lens for that body). It was an impressive piece of glass, and the contruction of the lens itself, how the focus/aperture rings move etc are as good as anything I ever saw from Leitz or Zeiss. However I really never used the lens. I worked mostly with shorter lenses at the time. Later I started to use that focal length alot, but used a Nikkor AF-D f2, and I now use a Zeiss ZF 35mm f2, which I love. I never use wide apertures in my work anyway, so the fast speed of the AIS Nikkor never did me much good (although the viewfinder image is obviously nice and bright).

The AIS is a beautiful piece of equipment, so I never wanted to sell it even though I've probably used it only 5 times since I bought it. It's essentially unused, and other than exercising the focusing and aperture rings every few months, I have always kept it in its original box with a UV filter on the front and both lens caps on. Last time I looked at it, I did notice a couple of flecks of dust inside, which annoyed me, but I highly doubt image quality would be affected.

So I don't know what to do with this thing. A new one is well over $1,000. But I don't know if it is worth selling, or if I should just keep it as a fine example of Nikkor craftsmanship. Seems like a waste to keep it around, but I wonder if I'd later regret parting with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to have this lens and like you was impressed with it but rarely used it. I traded mine along with a body for a Leica. Have a look into trading it for something else, I can't say I miss mine (nor the Leica which I traded it for, but that's another story).
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a nice lens to hold in your hand, but nothing special optically. So I can't imagine I'd ever really need it, but still not sure it is even valuable enough to trade for anything useful.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sell it on ebay and with the funds you make buy film.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking at completed auctions on ebay and KEH.com, it looks like you could expect at least $500.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The second you ship it to its new home you will find the perfect situation to use that lens. But, if you use the $$ to buy something you will use more than once every two years then you are way ahead of the game.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is there something you would use if you had $500+ dropped in your lap right now? Would that item have more value to you than the lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I could really use an archival print washer.

Shooter
    35mm
    In Vietnam, 35mm 1.4 ais is Mint about 400-500 USD. I dont now price if it is likenew.

I want buy the lens too. But the price?
    F4 | AIS 1.2
    QL17 GIII black | silver

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 35mm f/2 was the first Nikon lens I purchased and was my favorite lens until I replaced it with the 35mm f/1.4. I can understand adding a 35mm Nikkor AF-D f2 for the auto focus feature. However, I do not understand why you would get a Zeiss ZF 35mm f2 manual focus lens if the 35mm f/1.4 was meeting your needs.

Since you have decided that you prefer the Zeiss f/2 to the Nikon f/1.4, list the 1.4 on eBay at a low starting bid and with no reserve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin