Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,969   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Shooting Delta 3200 for the first time

Any tips about exposure? Does it like under or over? This is expensive stuff, so I'd like to get it close to right. Going to be shooting dinner with the moto club. Dark restaurant, etc. Using Nikon N80 and 50 1.8 af-d lens. TIA.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It likes 'overexposure'. Just know that it's really about an ISO 1000 film, so 3200 is a push. As long as you keep that in mind, you should like the results.

I think these '3200' speed films look best at about 1600, but sometimes you need to go faster. 3200 is useable, but things get a bit dicey at 6400 if you ask me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just tried it... with exactly the same equipment and EI3200. Exposed normally and used D-76 per notes by Ilford, I ended up with thin negative with very low contrast. If I was to do this again, I'd over expose it by one stop...
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You'd be just fine shooting it @3200 and process in DDX with a little pull if you don't want deep blacks. I've shot some recently in the middle of the day with 6 stop ND and worked out beautifully, with very nice but not overbearing grain and great tonalities. @1600 it is superb and again, you can process in DDX or Rollei RLS to get very fine grain if that's the look you are after.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, I think Ilford is a little off with those times, even with DDX. At their published times, my negatives were fairly low in contrast but considering the scenes, there was plenty to work with and I rather have that than impenetrable blacks, as that can be achieved in the darkroom or in post processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Excellent, thank you. I'll shoot it +1.
    Steve Long

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I regularly shoot this film. I rate it at 1600 and develop for the times recommended for film exposed at 3200.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do exactly what Allen does, and it's great stuff. If you're looking for a less expensive alternative, try Tri-x (Arista Premium 400) in Diafine.

Regards,

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what I have been doing with Ilfotec DD-X, Xtol, and even HC-110 and have gotten really nice crisp results.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    I regularly shoot this film. I rate it at 1600 and develop for the times recommended for film exposed at 3200.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's the result:

I love the smooth mid-tones, but it grain isn't as small as Neopan 1600. Seems like the trade-off is detail for tone.
    Steve Long

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin