Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,673   Online: 898

Shooter
    35mm

Konica TC disappointment

Bought a M42 adapter and the TC doesn't meter properly with a screw lens...works OK with my Konica bayonet lenses, erm damn inconvenient.
    Says on the front of the adapter "Konica Praktica lens adapter II Japan"

Shooter
    35mm

Konica TC disappointment

The TC has an index mark at the top of the aperture read-out bar on the right side of the finder. This is used for stop down metering with lenses which do not couple with the camera's meter. T Mount lenses and lenses used with the Konica adapters work with this mark. Adapters were made for using Konica F mount lenses, M42 (Praktica/Pentax Screw), Exakta/Topcon and Nikon F. All of these lenses will have correct infinity focus. In order to meter properly with an M42 lens using the adapter you will need an M42 lens which has the A/M (Auto/Manual) switch. You need to set the lens to M. As you close down the lens the fider will darken and the meter needle will move. It helps to at least estimate the exposure before metering so you will not have to go back and constantly change the shutter speed. There were some M42 lenses which have auto diaphragm operation (with an M42 camera body) but which lack an A/M switch. These lenses will only be usable wide open with the TC and adapter. If you have reason to believe that the camera is not working properly you can contact Greg Weber at 402-721-3873 or gweber@webercamera.com. He services Konica equipment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    The TC has an index mark at the top of the aperture read-out bar on the right side of the finder. This is used for stop down metering with lenses which do not couple with the camera's meter. T Mount lenses and lenses used with the Konica adapters work with this mark. Adapters were made for using Konica F mount lenses, M42 (Praktica/Pentax Screw), Exakta/Topcon and Nikon F. All of these lenses will have correct infinity focus. In order to meter properly with an M42 lens using the adapter you will need an M42 lens which has the A/M (Auto/Manual) switch. You need to set the lens to M. As you close down the lens the fider will darken and the meter needle will move. It helps to at least estimate the exposure before metering so you will not have to go back and constantly change the shutter speed. There were some M42 lenses which have auto diaphragm operation (with an M42 camera body) but which lack an A/M switch. These lenses will only be usable wide open with the TC and adapter. If you have reason to believe that the camera is not working properly you can contact Greg Weber at 402-721-3873 or gweber@webercamera.com. He services Konica equipment.
    Thanks for replying but my TC is no problem with hexanon lenses on manual or AE setting.....but with a M42 adapter the/my TC is crippled in that it will meter a M42 lens wide open then you set the aperture afterwards, yeah OK using a Meyer 50mm f1.8...but as the wide open aperture of a lens becomes smaller the meter becomes more inaccurate... so if the Meyer 50mm had a WO aperture of f2.8 the exposure would be wrong and a 300mm f5.6 would be way out.
    Using a M42 adapter on a Canon you get the correct exposure when stopping down the lens (M switch), the TC should work like this but doesn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your issue exactly but I owned a TC many years back and regularly used it successfully as Dynachrome has described. My camera prior to that was a Zenit E (Russke rig w/M42 mount) and I had some accessories and lenses that worked well in this manner. I'm attaching a scan of the pertinent pages from the TC manual in case you don't have one. Forgive me if I've missed something and your application goes beyond the scope of the material..... I imagine that an aperture priority camera would possibly adjust shutter speed to coincide with the closed down, un-coupled lens while the Konica forces you to select a shutter speed for the meter to coordinate with?
    Attached Files
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your issue exactly but I owned a TC many years back and regularly used it successfully as Dynachrome has described. My camera prior to that was a Zenit E (Russke rig w/M42 mount) and I had some accessories and lenses that worked well in this manner. I'm attaching a scan of the pertinent pages from the TC manual in case you don't have one. Forgive me if I've missed something and your application goes beyond the scope of the material..... I imagine that an aperture priority camera would possibly adjust shutter speed to coincide with the closed down, un-coupled lens while the Konica forces you to select a shutter speed for the meter to coordinate with?
    Thank you... I'm not surprised if any one is confused as there is no obvious logical reason why I should have a problem, but all I'm saying is:- my TC will meter correctly with Hexanon lenses on AE or manual.....but will not with a M42 adapter and screw lenses (stopping down makes the exposure reading even worse), and have tried a Tak and two Meyers. The adapter looks genuine but who knows it might be one that doesn't couple/uncouple something when mounted, anyway it's not a complete disaster as I will have to pre-meter with a Hexanon lens or use a separate meter....before using a M42 lens.
    Last edited by Excalibur2; 09-23-2010 at 04:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just remembered that when you change Hexanon lenses, so the aperture scale in the viewfinder changes, but this can't happen with a M42 adapter and screw lens, so I would think that is why you (well me) can't meter properly with the lens stopped down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe that the meter is simply reading the light as determined by whatever ƒ stop you're turning the uncoupled lens down to. When the match needle is on the correct spot (that bump at the top), you've determined the exposure and take the shot. I'm a hand-held meter guy, especially in a situation with an uncoupled lens/body combo so I can barely recall my actual use of this but do remember it working when I was playing with it. I recently tested a Nikon 55 Macro using the Nikon adapter but the body was an FT-1 (just checking macro performance vs my Hexanon). I was using studio lights and flash meter though. The exposures were right on, as one would expect by virtue of my flash meter. After the comparison, I sold the Nikon and don't have anything here to play with that I can adapt.... My old TC & T4 bodies don't have working meters anymore, either.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    I believe that the meter is simply reading the light as determined by whatever ƒ stop you're turning the uncoupled lens down to.
    Yes the TC is giving me a reading with M42 adapter and screw lens, but it is wrong compared to a Hexanon lens used and compared with a separate light meter.
    Anyway if a question ever arises on forums about the Konica TC and M42 lenses I'll say:- "you can't use the TC built in meter", unless someone proves me wrong.

Thanks all
    Brian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin