Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 823

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

N6006 Film Advance Issue

Hello,

I encountered a problem with my N6006 when shooting this weekend and was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on how I could troubleshoot the issue.

When I loaded a new roll of film, it loaded normally and even shot the first frame correctly. On the second frame, the motor sounded like the battery was getting low and on the third frame the film would not advance and the display was showing "End." I replaced the battery and the camera still thinks it is at the end of the roll. When attempting to rewind, the motor will start and then the display will show "Err." I have tried to load a new roll of film and it feels as though something is jammed and not allowing the film to unwind from the cassette. I assume something is broken internally and I would be better off buying another camera, but wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was overlooking.

Also, for a possible replacement I was looking at either another 6006 or an 8008. Is the move to the 8008 worth it or is there something else entirely that I should consider?

Thanks!

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Tony
    Do you have a data back on your camera. Last year My F4s had a very similar problem. After tinkering with it off and on for months, I took the data back off and put the regular back in its place. I decided to load a roll of film, its been working great since. I have yet to try the data back.
    I have never owned a 6006 or 8008, is there a reson for staying with these models. I use a N-90s and N-80, if you watch the bay these models can be bought at a good price. If you want to spend a little more the F4 is hard to beat. Its built like a tank, so it is a little heavy to carry, to me its worth it. Also in a pinch it would make a good self defense weapon.
    Hope I have helped, I am sure there others here that know more.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tony,

Due to the value of the 6006's, I'd probably just junk it and get another one. The 8008 is an improvement, in that it's quicker and has more shutter speeds, etc. That said, I would almost consider getting an F100 or an F5. Much better than the 6006, 8008, or even the N90 series...

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the help and ideas on replacements. I do not have a data back on the camera so I'll probably just go the replacement route. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something simple I was overlooking.

The only reason I had for those models was that the price was right and I was already familiar with the 6006. However, since it sounds like the F100 and F4 are really the way to go I may consider one of those even with the large jump in price.

Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think you'll be a lot happier with something a bit more advanced and, in the case of the F100, newer. KEH probably is your best bet for finding a replacement body. Anyway, wish you luck with the hunt...

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the F100 is more camera than you'll probably ever need. The N90S is really good too. I have them both, though I prefer to use the F100 because it just feels better in my hand. It eats batteries at a faster rate than the N90S (I don't have external batter packs for either camera) but the batteries are the ubiquitous and inexpensive AA alkalines that you can buy in bulk at the big warehouse stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and Costco in the US. The F4 is a very good camera, but it is larger and heavier. The one feature it has that the F100 lacks is that it will operate the matrix metering system with manual focus lenses. Honestly, matrix metering is not a deal breaker for me. As far as I'm concerned, it offers me no real advantage. After many years of experience, the meter is to me more of a suggestion than an absolute and I rarely use any auto-exposure camera as such.
    Last edited by fschifano; 09-28-2010 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin