Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,781   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My girl friends brother took the camera to France and got the Pentax body stolen with a lens. The only lens left was the 135mm f/3.5 screw mount lens. I'm looking on Ebay for a body for that lens from all the APUGer's raving about the lens. Are the normal lenses from Pentax just as good?

Images
    KEH has bargain grade Spotmatics for as little as $19. Their bargain grade is usually at least as good as what most Ebay sellers describe as "near mint". With KEH, you have the ability to return the camera if you do not like it.

Given that many of the early SLRs used the M42 mount you have a wide range of good quality standard lenses in that mount including those made for the German Prakticas and the Russian Zenits. I have been using a Fujinon 50mm/1.8 on mine but I have also had good results with a Praktica 50mm/1.8 and a Helios 44M.

When buying older lenses be sure to get the "automatic" versions which have a small pin sticking out of the bottom of the lens mount. This allows you to focus with the lens wide open and automatically stops it down to the value that you selected when you release the shutter.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Super-Multi-Coated Takumars are among the very best lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, this is absolutely a keeper. As others have mentioned, there are boatloads of older excellent M42 bodies floating around out there, and it works with all of them. You don't need a Pentax.

And as others have also mentioned, there are M42 adapters for many, many other bayonet mount bodies. I have a couple of M42 adapters for my Yashicas. You can get them for Canon EOS. And probably a dozen others.

I never found 135mm to be all that useful a focal length, but if sometime you find yourself in the position that this is just the right focal length then this is a tough lens to beat.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to APUPers, I ordered an M42 lens ring to use with my Canon FD bodies on EBay. It's only $10 and it's shipped from China. Can't wait to use the lens. Don't know how to the built in meter on my F1n though. I guess I'll learn. I have an trusty old hand held meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    I have used it with my Spotmatics. Great sharpness, great bokeh. It's a jewel.
    There must be quality variations in manufacture because for sharpness only....I'm not impressed with my Super Tak 135mm f3.5 when compared to say a Canon FD which you can pick up for the same price or cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ihave the FD 85mm mm f/1.8. I love it too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, MaineCoonManiac;

As many have suggested, almost anything that will have a "universal screw thread mount" or "M-42 mount" or "Exakta-Praktica-Pentax screw thread mount" will work with your lens. That is one of the reasons why it is also referred to as the "universal screw thread mount." So many cameras and lenses were made using this lens attachment system. There are still some older photographers who will explain to you at length why the M42x1.0mm thread mount is clearly superior over the bayonet mounts of the later camera designs.

You did ask for recommendations for a camera body, and among those out there, may I suggest something like the Vivitar 450 SLD and its relatives that have the Copal Square vertically travelling focal plane shutter? I have found that the Copal Square shutter in the different cameras here (Vivitar, Nikkormat, et cetera) to test out on my camera testing equipment as a remarkably consistent and accurate shutter, with very little variation among the samples I have tested. The only amusing point noted is the shutter speed of "1/125th second" which tests out much closer to 1/100th of a second, and they are all that way. This is still within the specification for the camera, but it clearly shows that getting a shutter to be fully open for "X" synchronization for electronic flash is not a simple task.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Ralph. Thanks for the recommendation on the body. Along with the Asahi Pentax Takumar 135mm f/3.5 lens, she also gave me her father's Zeiss Super Iktona IV camera which I sent in for repairs. Money is kinda tight so I'm waiting for the estimate for repairing the camera. For right now, I'm going to use the lens with my Canon F1N body. I've never seen a screw mount lens before since I got started in photography in the era of bayonet mounts. Can't way to try them. The lens is not a "Super Takumar", but just a "Takumar", is there a difference?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin