Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,934   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Asahi Pentax Takumar 135mm f/3.5 screw mount lens

My girl friend have me a box of his dad's old photo gear from the late 50's and early 60's. In the box is a Asahi Pentax Takumar 135mm f/3.5 screw mount lens. It's in pristine condition. I have no idea what to do with it. Does anyone know about this lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used it with my Spotmatics. Great sharpness, great bokeh. It's a jewel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for the info! Are Spotmatic bodies cheap? Didn't know what I have. I'm going to have to go to Flickr to look up some images made on that lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Check out this website at http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/photography/cameras/cameras.htm as it lists what cameras can use that lens -M42 lens mount, as well as what adapters are available to use your lens on other bodies. I have Contax, Mamiya, Pentax and Yashica bodies that use my M42 lenses as well as an adapter to use M42 lenses on my Pentax bodies such as this Takumar fisheye on my Pentax MX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hey that's cool

Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Check out this website at http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/photography/cameras/cameras.htm as it lists what cameras can use that lens -M42 lens mount, as well as what adapters are available to use your lens on other bodies. I have Contax, Mamiya, Pentax and Yashica bodies that use my M42 lenses as well as an adapter to use M42 lenses on my Pentax bodies such as this Takumar fisheye on my Pentax MX.

Thanks for the link. I have old Canon FD lenses that won't work on the same brand DSLR. Wouldn't be great if you could buy a SLR today lenses that work with many brands of bodies?
    The closest thing are view camera lenses these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that's the 135mm I have. I have a 60s era pre-Spotmatic Pentax H1a. With an adapter, I can use the screw mount lenses for it on my newer Pentax bodies as well (with some limitations). I usually prefer just using the old camera, though, as it fits my hands well and is basically an old friend. If you go looking, you should be able to find one for under $100 (maybe even under $50).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You need a body that can take M42 lenses. There are many, many different models, from the original Contax, which became Pentacon, to Praktica to Vivitar to Yashica to Mamiya to Pentax and others.

You can buy all kinds of adapters for the Canon EOS mount, except for Canon FD. I think there are adapters for Canon FD, but they include a lens that can affect image quality.

Pentax did a great job with its digital cameras, particularly starting with the K10D that allows nearly any 42mm screw-mount lens to be used with some limits. They can use nearly any K-mount lens, although the viewing screens in autofocus cameras aren't ideal for manual-focus lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would suggest an SPII. They're fairly reasonable, use M42's and are a joy to use. My favorite old SLR, bar none.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the SP II, but I have the original Spotmatic and 4 others. You also can use it with the Yashica TL Electro X, the Praktica and get adapters easily for just about any camera. I have one for the Contax.

Shooter
    35mm
    Definitely take photos with it. Nice optics and mechanically better than anything Canon or Nikon ever made...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin