Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Lenses for Nikon FM

hello, I'm a bit in the dark. I cannot determine if the Nikon FM was designed to optimally take advantage of the AI lenses. I know the camera can take the non-ai and the ai,,,,but but but ????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AI and AIS lenses works best for FM. NAI lens need stop down metering.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    Look for the table titled "Mid-Price Film SLRs" in this website http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm.
    There are great non AI lenses and are available at great prices and nothing to it in learning stop down metering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks everybody.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Start here:

www.nikonlinks.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You really don't want Non-AI lenses for the FM2. The camera was designed to work with AI and AIS lenses. I don't know where the idea that early non-AI lenses are selling for very little money got started either. Sure you can find them, but good examples fetch pretty good prices on par with their AI, and far more convenient to use, counterparts. To use the older, pre-AI lenses, you need to flip the metering tab on the body out of the way and use stop down metering. If you forget to flip the tab out of the way, and you try to force a non-AI lens onto the body, chances are good that you'll break something. Human nature being what it is, this will happen and any money you might have saved by going for the least expensive solution will evaporate into a repair bill. Add to that the fact that stop down metering, while not hard to do, is a pain in the ass, and you've got some really compelling reasons to NOT use pre-AI lenses on the camera.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    The OP posted FM not FM2. As indicated in the provided link, the FM can use Non AI lenses while the FM2 cannot.

As for prices of Nikon lenses, one such source is http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35mm/system-Nikon-Manual-Focus/category-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses?s=1&bcode=NK&ccode=6&cc=55957&r=WG&f. Search for "non AI" and you can see that they are cheaper then their AI counterpart - given the same condition.

If human nature is so low, you can buy all non AI lenses and leave the meter tab flipped up with the FM - the FM2 does not have this option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever. Point is that non AI lenses are a pain in the butt to use with that camera and that you can't deny. So excuse me for writing FM2 instead of just plain old FM. And yes, human nature is that fallible. Sooner or later we all make mistakes. Trying to crank on the lens without flipping the tab up out of the way will happen and when it does, something will break. For a few extra dollars, you can avoid the problem altogether and have a more convenient package (and very likely better performing lenses) to boot.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Point is that non AI lenses are a pain in the butt to use with that camera and that you can't deny.
    I can as I have both. Of course that doesn't matter as it will be the OP that will or won't have to deal with it as the OP chooses. We're just providing opinions and options.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find great Non AI glass. I; for one have great non Ai glass that I use routinely with my FE and F4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin