Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,707   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leica SLR?

Shooter
    35mm

Leica SLR?

I've been looking at Leica SLRs for an age, because I'd like to have a modern Leica lens but in an SLR. Have any of you used/owned/played with/rented any of their SLRs? What was your take?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    35mm
    Rent a leica, that's a wonderfull idea... Well, I got a R3 but many people says that it's more a minolta camera that a leica, ando old piece tecnology. But one can get at a decente price. For what i have read around the net, the best mechanical leica slr, it's the SL2.
    The leicaflex has the support everything fame, build like a tank. I went to the r3 since i wanted one with AP. R4 and 5, several people point out that they are extremely loud and the r6/6.2 are in the top preferences since it's the return of the mechanical slr.
    I like my r3, it's simple, no programs and i have manual or auto. Of course, if bateries fail, no taking pictures...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recently had an R8 with 35-70 (known to be far better than the 28-70). It was a beast and the lens pretty much functioned like primes throughout it's range. I enjoyed it but these days wasn't using it enough to justify the expense. It had a nice mirror lockup function as well that required no fiddling and could be used handheld/on the fly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've got an R6.2 and love it. Not much bigger then an M6 really and nice controls, nice meter with spot version. Batteries last ages. can't fault it...
    Though I do covet an R8. Had a play with one once and the viewfinder was the best I think I've ever seen, like sitting in a cinema...

J

Shooter
    35mm
    I own a Leica R9 and a R4. The R9 is may main body and has all the things I want on a camera: amazing viewfinder, ergonomic, resistant, half stops at the speed dial, a reasonable spot meter and capable of using the best lenses (a 50 f1.4 and a 24 f2.8 is all I need). The R4 is good as a second body although not brilliant... well it's a camera that you can buy second-handed for less than 150 USD and will take leica lenses.

As an alternative we can always try a nikon FM1-3 with a carl-zeiss lens. Impressive as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With Leica....the camera bodies are very good...but it's the lenses that count!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned an R3, a beautiful camera even though I prefer mechanical shutters. I also briefly owned an original Leicaflex - really nice if the condition is good. They are worth the money as are their lenses.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For a few years I used a R4 Model 2. Apparently the model 2 is much more reliable than the earlier bodies. I also had a R5 which i thought was great.

Overall the bodies are nice... I think the R6 and the R6.2 were the best built.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget the Leicaflex, SL, and SL2. Wonderful cameras!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz View Post
    With Leica....the camera bodies are very good...but it's the lenses that count!
    You've obviously never used a Leicaflex Sl or SL2...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin