Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,585   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Astronomy SLR reccomendations?

I really want to do a little astrophotography and I already have a Minolta X-370 and a x-9 that I've tried. The mirror slap causes too much vibration for my use, so I'm wanting to save up for a SLR with a mirror lock. I'd prefer a Minolta that I can use my many MD lenses on as well. Anybody have any suggestions for a good and affordable SLR?

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not a Minolta, but an Olympus OM 1 would be perfect.

Shooter
    35mm

Images
    Minolta SRT 303, also.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The SRT cameras are very sturdy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best part of the SRT is it doesn't need a battery for the shutter, it's all mechanical and perfect for astrophotography.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The SRT sounds like a good choice..or a Pentax K1000....Just as a side note, E200 (Ektachrome 200) does a killer job at night especially for exposures this long...I highly recommend it!!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Nikon F2 (however, the Nikon F works just as well) for the following reasons:
    1. Mirror lockup (use to reduce vibrations caused by mirror slap)
    2. Battery independent (can work all night without worrying about battery failure)
    3. Interchangeable view screens (I find it easier to focus with the type M view screen)
    4. Interchangeable view finder (the DW-20 waist level finder makes viewing easier)

I use the F2 without the motor drive and battery pack because the lighter weight makes it easier to obtain proper balance when mounted on the telescope.

Speed, reciprocity, and color sensitivity are important factors in film selection. Here are some of the films I have used and recommend:
    Fuji Astia 100 (slide)
    Fuji Provia 100 (slide)
    Fuji Provia 400 (slide)
    Fuji Sensia II 400 (slide)
    Kodak Ektachrome E200 (slide)
    Kodak Technical Pan TP-2415 (black & white)
    Kodak Royal Gold ISO 200 (color print)
    Kodak Portait ISO 160 (color print) (avoid exposures longer than 1/10 second)

However, regretfully, some of these films have been discontinued.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the Minolta SRT series cameras would be perfect but MAKE SURE that the one you get has the mirror lock-up feature; not all of them did. If the camera has a small round silver "button" looking thing on the right-hand side of the lens mount (the same side of the camera as the shutter release is on,) then it has mirror lock-up; if it doesn't have the little button-like thing then it doesn't. BTW, it isn't really a button, you rotate it to lock the mirror up. Fantastic camera!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails srt101-MLU.JPG  
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A classic choice is the Nikkormat FT (and FT2). Totally mechanical, mirror lock up. Oh, and I've got one for sale if you want it
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin