Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,631   Online: 797

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon Elan 7e

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought the 7e recently from someone who went digital and I still can't believe how much I got it for. I bought it as a replacement for my EOS Elan/100 due to the sticky shutter problem. I was at first wasn't going to use the eye control since I wear glasses but it actually works well. It's very quiet especially when rewinding and it isn't too heavy. One thing I don't like about it is in low light, the pop-up flash gives out a pulse of light in order to focus. So if you're looking to do low light photography that won't surprise your subject, this camera probably won't work for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh those pesky little auto pop-up flashes...
    Woe betide you if you use this camera in covert surveillance...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The popup only goes up and fires if you are in the green modes. Go to P/Av/Tv/M and it stays down.
    Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah I know it stays down in the creative mode but the problem then becomes the camera having to keep refocusing. After a number of times it just becomes frustrating. This is one area where the EOS Elan/100 has an advantage since it uses an infrared system. If the 7e had the infrared system it would be the perfect camera for my needs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am quite versed in the newer Canon EF glass, and have thought about a 70-200 f4L as my next purchase, best of all I could use it on both bodies and they can be had for relatively cheap.

I didn't think the old school 75-300 glass were available with IS, I don't need it for my film rig I use it on my digital walkaround setup.

The lenses I'm talking about are like the 28-90, 80-200 and various 3rd party glass. In particular the Tamron 70-300 LD macro 1:2.....I have this exact lens for my Maxxum 4 and it produces stellar results on pro film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look what just waltzed into my truck while on a job.

So far, impressed. Shoots faster than my Rebel, came with a free roll of Superia, bag, all the cleaning toys. 130-dollar pawnshop score. The 28-90 USM on it is impressive for a kit lens, very sharp and the USM is quiet and very fast when mounted to my Rebel.

Upgrades are going to be a vertical grip, Japanese 75-300, and various other lenses. My Canon EOS system is almost complete, hope to step up to some L-glass before my brother's wedding.

Holding off on the F1 for now......it's been on CL for two weeks so it isn't going anywhere.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Elan 7 is a good choice.....very light and quiet. Get a 50mm prime (1.4 or 1.8) and be happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm split between a 50 or an 85....85 will be great for portraits and weddings but the 50 can get more stuff in the shot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not get both, considering the 50mm f1.8 costs less than 100$? It is a piece of plastic junk that feels like a china toy, but the optical quality is very good. There aren't many good excuses not to own one, actually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin