Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,237   Online: 830

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Question about a Bessamatic

My darling wife bought me a present earlier this week. She found a Bessamatic Delux at St. VIncent Depaul for $25 with a 90mm lens! It needed some shutter help, but I managed to take it apart and get it working again.....after about a half hour trying to figure out how to re-assemble it! Anyway, I do have a few questions about it. First, there is a button on the shutter across from the flash sync selector....I have no idea what it is for. Also, there is a cover on the back of the top plate.....is it a cover to adjust the meter (zero? gain?) ? The meter is reactive, but I haven't checked it for accuracy. The only thing that bugs me is that the prism seems to be desilvered a bit. I'll need to fall in love with it before I get it resilvered!

Thanks -- Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You repaired a Bessamatic shutter? Wow - you must be some sort of super-hero. If I remember correctly, the Bessamatic has the same shutter as the Kodak Retina Reflex. When you mention repairing one of those to most camera repairers they run off and hide until you have gone away!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I read you correctly the button that you are asking about is a lock for the self timer/flash selector.The selector should not move unless this button is pushed in.I have several Bessamatics which I have serviced,they are a great camera.I wish I could afford the lenses for them.LOL.Ron G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Kodak Retina Reflex lenses can be made to fit the Bessamatic with a minor modification: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-150.html

They both have the same lens mount but each has an additional feature to prevent the lenses from the other manufacturer from fitting.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mark & Steve;

There is another camera which shares the same lens mount and coding.
    It was the GRAPHIC 35 Electric made by ILOCA and sold by them as the ILOCA electric. According to McKeown's the electric motor was the weak point so the lenses might be found cheaply.

Francis in VT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You repaired a Bessamatic shutter? Wow - you must be some sort of super-hero. If I remember correctly, the Bessamatic has the same shutter as the Kodak Retina Reflex. When you mention repairing one of those to most camera repairers they run off and hide until you have gone away!

Steve.
    I'm no superhero.....I know enough to get it apart, clean and lubricate and get it back together. If it needs anything beyond very simple cleaning with lighter fluid and a little graphite, I'm in trouble.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The Kodak Retina Reflex lenses can be made to fit the Bessamatic with a minor modification: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-150.html

They both have the same lens mount but each has an additional feature to prevent the lenses from the other manufacturer from fitting.

Steve.
    Thanks Steve,I have two or three that I have modified and it is indeed a very simple modification.Ron G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 90mm is one of the best lenses I've used... Enjoy!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin