Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,887   Online: 1006

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Prices have gone up on things I want to buy, but down on things I want to sell.
    Ecxatly whats happening with my staff so I do not sell it!

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I notice that prices take a small jump for manual gear on ebay when the college semester starts, and on some of the lower end auto gear around the time that a student figures out that there camera does not put marks on the film saying what kind of camera shot it.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^^^I mark my rolls with the model number of what shot them (FTn, Maxxum 4, 7e, etc.) when the developer sends them back they have the model number on the front of the order sheet.

The ironic thing is, the newest camera of the bunch (the Maxxum 4, haven't gotten anything back from the Elan 7e) has the best image quality and the oldest (the Nikkormat FTn) has the best vintaging effects along with quality almost on par with the Maxxum.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    Many people haven't got much money at the moment. If they sell, they'll try to ask for a little more. If they buy, they'll try to ask for a little less.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Someone (forgot his name) recently mentioned that the transition to digital is now complete, making analog a thing of the past and thus susceptible to retro'ing. Analog isn't just an older alternative to digital nowadays, it's vintage. At some point, people will pick up on that (if they didn't already).

Shooter
    Multi Format

A digital film camera zapper?

I wonder how long it will be before the newest tool that the police have to protect themselves will be a digital camera zapper. This will be pointed at a photographer with a digital camera and prevent him from using his camera, or will make the images it takes all full of noise. This could be used in places like China or some banana republics that don't want photographers recording their activities. Ofcourse by then there will not be any film cameras. (They will be outlawed.) When cameras are outlawed, only outlaws will have cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not asking Questons anymore ....

A Tamron Adaptall 2 mount Pentax PKA went for $120 on FleaBay.

I bought a Nikon F3 with a MD4 for $110.00

The tamron mount sold for about $40.00 when new a nikon F3 with a MD4 sold new for so much that I could not afford one......

Things don't add up but I am doing my best to take advantage of things.

Would you swap a F3 + MD4 for a tamron mount ?

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ... yet another medium speed color neg film, and an ugly one at that (Ektar), ...
    You forgot the "IMO" part. I saw some Ektar shots today printed quite big (over 8x10) and they blew me away. I was amazed that it was color negative film.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never compare auction prices (which sometimes are crazy, as seen on real life auctions) and business prices. Sometimes a business will price an item, and have it sit on a shelf for a year.

If film camera prices was going up, camera factories would put out brand new models. AFAIK they instead stop making film cameras.

If demand was up, the good old 1-hour print shops would spring up in todays economy where 1000's are laid off. I see none of that.

We are a dying breed. But we always experience something strange : whatever camera or film we are looking for in a dwindling market *someone else* is looking for also, so we are outbidding each others. This is like wimmins dresses, interes sways to and fro' prices go up and down, and its user-driven. Banter on places like this fuels the imagination, we suddenly sees a write-up of a long forgotten camera, and suddenly demand *explodes*, instead of the noraml 5 interested blokes, 75 are now bidding, which drives the prices through the roof.

One simple example, a local photo web-site here, normally catering for digital cameras, had a well written and lavishly presented write-up of the Olympus OM system, models, lenses, winders and so on. All of a sudden *everyone* should have one, local prices here skyrocketed, and demand exploded noticeably in the UK also. Normally this should have been impossible, we are so few people, we normally would not make a dent in the UK market. But in all truth, the market is now so small, that anything exeptional happening, can make prices seem exploding or falling throuh the floor.

And the rule of the thumb is as always in antiques : what you are looking for is bound to be expensive, what you are trying to sell to finance your next good buy, will always be half of what you expected, which already was half of what you got it for!

Happy hunting, its the Hunt!

Erik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Prestmo View Post
    Never compare auction prices (which sometimes are crazy, as seen on real life auctions) and business prices. Sometimes a business will price an item, and have it sit on a shelf for a year.
    Erik
    One thing I can never understand is business pricing, the local camera shop that deals in used cameras has Nikon F3 priced at $295.00 and a MD4 at $150.00 in the same condition as the ones I have just bought on $bay for $110.00. Nobody is going to buy the ones in the shop unless the are brain dead, the camera has been there for some time.....It will be there next year. If the shop had them priced at $200 or so I may have bought them because I would be able to test them on the spot and have a warranty, but at 5 times the $bay price ....No DEAL

There would not be alot of local customers, for film cameras, why would a shop price something with a ...."Not for sale"..... price.

I suspect the Tamron Adaptall 2 mount Pentax PKA mount $120.00 is Digital camera blip, a group has worked out that PKA mount will work with a digital camera.

Johnkpap

If you have a PKA mount Sell it quick !!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin