Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,690   Online: 946

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Speaking as someone who became interested in film photography just over a year ago, I think the reason why cameras like the N80 are so cheap is simply that they are ugly. I considered a lot of cameras as my first camera, but the N80 would not have got a look in, as it's identical to the Canikon digicams which put me off digital in the first place. If you're shooting film at this point, you're probably after a "look", or a style of shooting, or some other reason which is not fulfilled by a blob of black plastic. Features, features, features probably don't appeal either, so you may as well get a Pentax K1000. Finally, if you're shooting film a lot, and sending to commercial labs, then you're probably not on the breadline, and can get the camera you *want* and not the one you can afford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera style :

A few weeks back I visited an antiques shop here locally. I was carrying my B&H/Canonon Dial half-frame BTW. In through the door came a locally famous rock/pop artist with common-law wife (she being an US-american). I knew his father from school back in the day, so I approached and discussed some local matters (culture politics etc etc), during the conversation his wife brought some old clothes, scarfs etc for them to try out, and I whipped out my Dial and documented fun & embraces (gorgeous woman!). So the conversation turned to my COOL camera.

Turns out she was looking for something like that, and OLD camera with SOUL. I told here where I got mine, being young, it took less than a minute before e-bay was on her smart-phone and she was browsing for some cool stuff. I gave her some advice, and told them that if they ever decided to go for decent film cameras, I would be available to give them a quick course, developing films and scanning the results for Net-use.

I think it might be an under-surge out there somewhere, artists are seeking something special. We who use film are suddenly "interesting" and making real pictures on film, developing by oneself, is something akin to writing lyrics and putting music to it. I will pick up the thread again and sound them out if they're still interested. Spreading the Gospel!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Recently in my vendors store i noticed that they were once again showing used film camera equipment. That hasn't happened in many years. THey have continued to sell film and printing/darkroom supplies, but wouldn't take in any film cameras.

When discussing this they told me that there is a modest gain in prices and they don't aren't as flat as they have been in many years. They must have had a least 10 bodies in a front case, which they must be selling as they aren't going to give up that kind of display space for somthing that is not moving.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin