Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,025   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letting go

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I have quite a few 35mm systems now. In addition I have some medium format, large format, projection and enlarging equipment, and a ton of books.
    The problem is that my house is starting to get cluttered.
    I really need to sell at least half of what I own.

The problem is that every item seems to have its own unique personality. There is no overwhelming advantage to one system over another. So its been very hard for me make the effort to sell stuff. And quite frankly it takes a lot of work to sell things properly. Photographing items, writing descriptions, posting online, and shipping all take a ton of time. And international shipping is a pain because it requires a trip to the post office.

So my question is, what steps do you take when you need to reduce your collection? What questions do you ask yourself to help you decide what stays and what goes?
    Well, if your HOUSE is starting to feel cluttered because of your collection....that may be a problem I have a closet that's cluttered.

Shooter
    35mm
    Get a bigger house.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    35mm systems to not bring much -- better to donate them to some college program who will get them into the hands of students...and take the donation off one's taxes.

Okay, okay -- I am totally biased and self-serving since I am in charge of a university teaching darkroom and am always looking for manual film cameras to lend to our students.

Of course, we also take donations of MF and LF systems...LOL!

Vaughn
    I agree! If the place you donate your equipment to is a non-profit organization (most colleges and universities are) you can deduct the market value of the goods donated. In other words, even if you only bought the camera for $20 but it is worth $100, you get to claim the $100 as the value. So long as you have reasonable proof of what you would have had to pay if you went out and bought one today.

I work for a Catholic college. I have gotten several thousand dollars worth of equipment donated this way.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've begun a first step by clearing out a closet in my entrance hall, then putting in only the camera equipment that I actually use. The other stuff is in storage in another room. Maybe in a year or so I will get it through my head that I don't need the other stuff and will get rid of it.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't have to use every bit of equipment you own every day. There is validity in simply being a collector.

People collect all sorts of things... Stamps and coins. Dolls and Teddy Bears. It is just as valid to be a collector of vintage camera equipment.

It just so happens that you are also a photographer. Therefore, instead of simply looking at your collection, you can actually take pieces of your collection out and use them to make the best photographs that anybody has ever seen.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    ...So my question is, what steps do you take when you need to reduce your collection? What questions do you ask yourself to help you decide what stays and what goes?

Why bother yourself with doing today what your legatees can happily do tomorrow?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think it's a practical question about how you want to work. Sometimes less is more, and for me, when I've decided to pare down, it's because I've decided that I've experimented enough with a few ways to do something, and I want to settle on one technique and refine it. I've still got lots of options and lots of stuff, but I've also gotten rid of things.

Another thing to consider is how much it costs to maintain everything. I like for everything I have to work, so if I've got something that isn't getting much use but still needs a CLA every few years from lack of exercise, then it's time to think about moving it along.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a problem with collecting and collectors in spite of having a growing Nikkormat habit. It's just indulging that male completist gene and probably rots the soul, though I dare say there are worse compulsions. Part of the fun is refurbishing old dogs, replacing the seals and foam and making them work like new. The best thing (or maybe second best to winding back 35 years in a time machine) then is to get enthusiastic kids to press some shutter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The other thing you could always do is put the stuff you don't use frequently into a storage box that slides under the bed. That'd clear some space up.

Agree with David, though. I like to have my gear fully functional as well. I think that's part of the reason why I tend to go through bodies like water. If I get something that needs work and isn't in that great shape, I typically will purge it and find something else that's better. Or, if it's something that I don't really care for, out it goes. Like my last F3. Didn't care for the meter readout. So, when I got my F2AS, bye-bye F3.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin