Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,053   Online: 1008

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letting go

Images
    The last time I suggested that I sell or give away some of the cameras that I do not use, my wife told me to keep them. She thinks that our grandchildren might want to use them. Right now we only have one, a 2 1/2 yearold, so it looks as though I will be keeping my cameras for a while. :-)
    Meanwhile, the idea that they all need to be used once in a while gives me an excuse to burn some film.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luckily I've never had this problem as I don't own enough gear, though I do have a killer book buying jones lol..
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Luckily I've never had this problem as I don't own enough gear, though I do have a killer book buying jones lol..
    Ah, so you've BAS?

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been puting together kits of stuff that is fun to use... but theres still a bunch of stuff I dont expect to use.
    .. and i just bought another slide projector.. a kodak 4400.. do I really need 5 slide projectors?..
    I had looked all over for about 6 months for a cheap slide projector and came up dry. After i broke down and ordered one shipped to me, now I regularly find them.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Just last week I let go of a closetful of old computers, vcrs, tivos and miscellaneous obsolete electronics. Sent it all to the recyclers.

Now I have more room for film gear
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK one thing ive noticed about myself is that i have a hard time saving money. I have a long list of things I want. I get a little bit of money saved. Then I see something on my list and I turn around and spend it immediately. That makes it really hard to save up for a big ticket item.
    Soo.. I'm makeing a short list of the most expensive items I want.. Hasselblad, olympus 21mm, olympus 85mm, CLA for OM2.
    I'm deleting the the little things.. Olympus 35rc, recessed lensboard, 72mm filter, macro lens, and on and on.
    That may help to motivate me and to keep from buying trinkets.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    35mm systems to not bring much...

I just bought an excellent+ condition Nikon F2A for $280. Way back in 1980, I bought one new for $500. That's 44% depreciation spread over 30 years. Now go look what a Nikon D1 digital camera sells for nowadays and contrast that to its original new selling price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We gotta remember, though, that the original price of the F2A is in 1980 dollars. Inflation has made the dollar much weaker over the years. That $500 F2A would be closer to $2000 or so today, or where the F6 is. The D1H was $5500 when new in 2001. I did buy mine for $250, knocking the actual cash outlay to $66 after trading an FM2n, MB-20 battery pack, a couple of Canon Powershots, and some other stuff for it.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pschauss View Post
    The last time I suggested that I sell or give away some of the cameras that I do not use, my wife told me to keep them.
    Now thats a keeper =]

Shooter
    35mm
    I keep a list of all my kit for insurance purposes. I rank each item on a scale of 1 to 3 for usefulness and periodically sell off the number 3's.

I also keep a wish list of things I want to get for my photography. On it at the moment are books, a proper loupe, new ball head, some AF primes etc.

I find the wishlist motivates me to sell kit on the insurance valuation list, so that my collection does not get too large. For example, I recently sold a scanner which more than paid for a lightbox.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin