Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,626   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letting go

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Letting go

I have quite a few 35mm systems now. In addition I have some medium format, large format, projection and enlarging equipment, and a ton of books.
    The problem is that my house is starting to get cluttered.
    I really need to sell at least half of what I own.

The problem is that every item seems to have its own unique personality. There is no overwhelming advantage to one system over another. So its been very hard for me make the effort to sell stuff. And quite frankly it takes a lot of work to sell things properly. Photographing items, writing descriptions, posting online, and shipping all take a ton of time. And international shipping is a pain because it requires a trip to the post office.

So my question is, what steps do you take when you need to reduce your collection? What questions do you ask yourself to help you decide what stays and what goes?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    35mm systems to not bring much -- better to donate them to some college program who will get them into the hands of students...and take the donation off one's taxes.

Okay, okay -- I am totally biased and self-serving since I am in charge of a university teaching darkroom and am always looking for manual film cameras to lend to our students.

Of course, we also take donations of MF and LF systems...LOL!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I wax and wane, I get GAS and then I start to feel the weight of my possessions and getting rid of things is easier.

What has worked for me is to start with what I want to keep instead of what I want to get rid of. If I acquired something because it seemed like to would be fun but I've never used it, then it doesn't make the cut. If I used it once and that was it, ditto.

I agree with the hassle of selling which is why when I do it I try to do it in blocks instead of piecemeal. I get in the mindset, I write all the descriptions, I take all the descriptive pictures, and when things sell I can get everything send in one or two trips to the PO.

And like most things we avoid, I find it helps to estimate how long a task will take, then do it, then look at how long it actually took. It's usually on the order of predicted: FOREVER actual: 10min.

Good luck...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "It's usually on the order of predicted: FOREVER actual: 10min."

OMFG THATS FUNNY
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Over time, I've interviewed and befriended people who've had to leave a town or country quickly through no fault of their own. A question that always comes up is: what did you take and and why, knowing that all you could take was what could practically be carried by you, often for days at a time, in the equivalent of a small suitcase. How you pare things down isn't really the issue; it's how you decide what to part with that's tough.

Though there's no disaster looming, I've pitched/donated stuff recently I've not used for several years, mainly 35mm bodies and lenses that duplicated later gear buys. A just-busted Bronica S that was old and not worth fixing(have a like new Bronica SQ-B kit for 6x6)went to the trash last week. Old Minolta lenses went to a friend's kid. Clean old Nikon 801s bodies went to a thrift store. A like-new Sekonic 398 meter went to another friend's teenage daughter in the Canadian Yukon for her new eBay Hassie kit(I've got two other Sekonic meters).More will go over the next few months. Most of it I got for very little money. I used it happily but know it's pointless to try to squeeze a buck from it. My MF and 35mm kits are now down to workable proportions and get used regularly. It's just stuff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For my part, I try to look at where my vision/passion for photography is taking me. The world is filled with interesting and fantastic photographic equipment, but most of it belongs in someone else's hands for best use. In this sense "letting go" liberates me to focus on specific directions in my photography, instead of getting distracted by shiny camera gear.

That said, I also acknowledge phases in my work. I'm fine with allowing equipment to "lie fallow" for a time when I feel that I'll come back to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am now actively taking LF donations. I have quite an extensive collection of camera equipment that tends to get used in a rotation type of schedule. I go through rounds of 35mm and 120 film spurts. The only cameras that don't get used are the ones that are awaiting my attention for repairs. If I want to simplify my camera stuff I figure out what it is that has not been used in a long while and then I get it out and use it and the feeling goes away.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    So my question is, what steps do you take when you need to reduce your collection? What questions do you ask yourself to help you decide what stays and what goes?
    1. How long has it been since I used this?
    2. When will I use it -- for sure -- in the future?
    3. What's the sale price? If that's low, would it be better to keep the equipment in case I or my friends or family might want to use it in the future?

The last question sounds nebulous, but in practice has been the most important factor. I find I go through stages with photography. For example, I might not shoot a macro for a year, but then I want, or my kids want, to do a bunch of them.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    So my question is, what steps do you take when you need to reduce your collection?
    Sit quietly with a stiff drink until the thought goes away?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's no law against hoarding photo equipment and supplies.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin