Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,562   Online: 1307

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Olympus Pen FT - lenses

Someone offered me an FT, and I could not resist though it needs a CLA...

Which are the lenses and accessories for the half-frame SLR that you can recommend?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything you can find from Olympus in reasonable good shape for the Pen F SLR will be top notch, it was among the absolute top 3 camera systems back before 1970.

I have 3 lenses for mine : a medium zoom, normal and a short tele, of these I value the short tele the most for its absolute biting sharpness (which can be said for the other two also, but the short tele is very handy).

I miss a decent wide and need to go hunting I think.

My only gripe is that the lenses, in order to be very compact (design feature of the entire system), has limited f-stops, but modern 35mm film, which has more than double the ISO for a given grain size and sharpness range, has more or less fixed that, its easy to get good results with the system.

I documented an old, and nearly forgotten graveyard this spring, and it was an eyeopener, going on and on on a single roll, 72 images is a LOT with conventional film photography.

I scan my negatives, back in the day it was a fortune to have the film developed and printed!

Erik

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    By the way...

I still remember that when it was new the Pen F and FT were relatively CHEAP cameras, and the lenses were not expensive either.

Today many dealers, especially on ebay, just try to get away with absurd prices. Descriptions contain "great condition" but come with some extras: "as is", "some haze", "minor scratches in the glass that will not effect results", "tiny amount of fungus". Big time for con artists. Ebay seems to be the number one ripoff arena for defective Pen F/FT gear. I hope the Pen hype is over soon...
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    Being able to handle lenses before buying is preferred. Almost every pen lens I see has oil on the diaphragm blades and needs the focus helicoids completely degreased and relubed. John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin