Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,343   Online: 1007

Shooter
    35mm

FM2 Focus problem

Hello everyone..

i have a problem with my Nikon FM2. While shooting focusing seems nice, but on print most of the photos are unfocused. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot..

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Possibly a misaligned focus screen?

Shooter
    35mm
    Is there a way to find out if that's the case, or should i go to the pits?

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you verified that this is not in the printing process? You might want to examine the negs closely with a loupe to see that the negs are out of focus, not just the prints. Also, is it the same focus all over or are there areas of the image that are more in focus. There could be a film flatness issue, you could tell that if the focus is better in some areas of the image than others. If is the same all over, I would agree that the most likely culprit is a misaligned focusing screen.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually i'm pretty sure there is no problem in the printing process. It has happened to an ilfordfx hp5 and to two colored fuji smth films. I've developed the first and the other two went to seperate laboratories.
    It was really strange i could aim normally..
    So should i take it to a mechanic or is something i can work out?
    thanks

PS in the blurred photos, it's in the whole picture
    Last edited by ballbugsbunny; 10-10-2010 at 04:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "PS in the blurred photos, it's in the whole picture"

When you enlarge the HP5, is the grain in good focus? This will tell you if the enlarger is in focus, regardless of the image. It would be odd to have nothing in the image in focus.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Take the lens off and look above the mirror. Check to see if the metal frame that holds the focusing screen is locked into place. Dealt with this on a certain F100-based off-topic Nikon body. Couldn't figure out why the electronic rangefinder disagreed with my eye. Turns out, the frame had become unlatched and the screen was slightly tilted.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this a new problem, or is this a "new to you" camera? If it is a new to you camera did you shoot a test roll using all the apertures and at least one infinity shot at the smallest aperture? If you made that test shot and it is out of focus here is a list of what could be wrong.

You were shaking, all the labs messed up, there is something hiding between your mirror and your shutter, there is something wrong with the film guides (pressure plate or lands), your lens and screen are both mounted wrong, you were "floating" a lens and are not that steady, or your camera is done.

Before you load more film check the film pressure plate, and machined flats, the pressure plate on the door should be springy, and the machined surfaces clean. Remove the lens or front cover, and with the rear door open set the camera in B and open the shutter and look through to be sure there is nothing in there. Check the screen, I don't think you can remove the screen on an FM2 but check it anyway if you can remove it Nikon has instructions, follow those to remove and replace it. Be sure your lens is properly mounted to the camera, not loose or shaky (no lens "floating" either, this is a test roll). Load film, and shoot focused on something at infinity at all apertures, then something close (less than 10 feet) at all apertures, make all of these shots with the camera on a hard flat surface or tripod and use the timer so you are not touching the camera when it takes the photos. If after all that you are still get back out of focus photos, it is either your lab, or a problem with your camera that you can not easily fix at home.

Good luck.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ballbugsbunny View Post
    Is there a way to find out if that's the case, or should i go to the pits?

thanks
    Have a look here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...reenchange.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Take the lens off and look above the mirror. Check to see if the metal frame that holds the focusing screen is locked into place. Dealt with this on a certain F100-based off-topic Nikon body. Couldn't figure out why the electronic rangefinder disagreed with my eye. Turns out, the frame had become unlatched and the screen was slightly tilted.

-J

Thanks a lot guys you saved my day.. it turned out that was the problem.. a little misaligned focus screen and not well in place the metal frame.. i managed to fix it with a little tweezers job..

cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin