Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,567   Online: 870

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon FM problem

Well, one of my latest buys was a camera I had no business bidding on..just the body no lens. Long story shorter - obtained lens, load film. My normal experience..can't load film. Fiddle Fiddle Fiddle and it catches. Now to take some shots of a cute couple dining outside a restaurant. Bikini clad girls walking around the pool. Only problem was each time I would advance the film the advance would not lock and I would end up with double exposures or advancing the film two or three frames without snapping a shot. My Ebware purchase of the FM in very good condition is in disrepair.
    Anyone know how to do a home repair?
    Out approx. $220 with some lens purchases. Anyone know Orly:goldenboar111507? I had already left postive feedback before testing with film this last weekend. I just sent him a note asking if he sent me the right camera, but of course he did according to the listed pics. Damn.
    Last edited by Focus No. 9; 10-11-2010 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: details details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Contact the seller.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Images
    The camera is not supposed to continue to wind without the shutter being tripped. My FM, FE, F2 (along with every other manual advanced camera I've ever owned) all lock until you fire the shutter. Something is definitely wrong; a catch broken or out of sync. And it should not double expose without tripping the double expose button. Trying to repair it yourself would be difficult unless you're experienced. I can recommend Abilene Camera Repair; they did my FE but figure $135-165 for an overhaul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remove the bottom cover and there should be a latch on the wind side that drops into a square notch when it's fully advanced.
    If the lever doesn't engage, one of two things commonly happen, the spring has become dislodged or sit needs to be oiled. A drop of Naptha or liquid lighter fluid both work
    and will leave enough residue to provide lubrication
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another thing to check is that there is a small button on an FM to allow double exposure. It is on the top of the camera to the right of the eyepiece next to the the shutter speed dial. It should be towards the wind handle, if it is toward the eyepiece when you wind it only resets the shutter. check to be sure it is springing back to the right freely, and that you are not bumping it while winding. I doubt you are bumping it while winding as it is hard to use normally, but it may not be springing like it should. I hope you get it sorted out, the FM is a really fun camera that can take far better shots than I am able to.

Just a guess as to what could be wrong on my part.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Good News

The seller not only refunded my money but insisted on refunding my postatge.
    Great seller on the bay... goldenbear111507 his name is Orly.

I called my Niikonian buddy and told him about buying the FM body and then some third party lenses. I still had his busted (back door latch) N70 so I tried a few lenses on it. Thought what the heck might as well give them a try out. He laughed at my "disease". Particulary since the real reason I called was about an N90 with a 28-70af lens(NIKKOR) that I was offered a second chance to purchase. I wanted his opinion on the set. I bought the N90 get-up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good to hear. Mistakes do happen. Glad the seller was honest and deserving of his good feedback.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin