Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,442   Online: 916

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What 35mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What 35mm?

First off, I shoot mainly with either medium format or large format cameras. I have a darkroom and develop and print all my black and white stuff. Second of all...I HATE ME D*GITAL CRAP OF A CAMERA. Thinking I should at least have something for snapshots, I made the progression to a Canon 50D, with a few non prime lenses. I can't stand it anymore and I'm selling off all my digital stuff and looking for a great film camera for 35mm. I want something rugged, somewhat professional and easy to use, as in AE, ect. I can live with manual focus, but I can always buy manual lenses and upgrade later if I choose. I'm not brand loyal to Canon, I'm also looking at Nikon. Any suggestions would be great. I'm looking for SLR, not rangefinders. As a matter of fact, the only 35mm stuff I own are a couple of Zorki 4K's.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, take your pick. I loved my Nikon N65 for snapshootist activity. I shoot regularly with older MF Minolta cameras (sr-T's). And many other suggestions are forthcoming, no doubt. If only for snapshots, I would definitely go with a small, lightweight, AF, program type of camera like the N65.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you have canon ef lens I would look at something like a eos 7n or a eos 3.

Marty

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Nikon N90s that would probably do exactly what you want. It is generally considered a semi-pro. Is very well-built. Good AF reputation as well as great metering. Best of all, it's dirt cheap. I got mine for $29 from KEH. BGN rated, in pristine condition if you ask me. Only draw-back is that the controls, though easy enough to use, are not conventional Nikon controls. Does not take advantage of VR lenses.

Others to consider:

Auto Focus:

F100 - GREAT camera that takes advantage of all modern lenses including G and VR. Full feature set other than mirror lock-up. Conventional Nikon controls. usually $200-$300.
    N75 - Small, Light, takes advantage of all modern lenses. Not as robust of build, but works well. Under $120.

Manual Focus:

Anything in the FM/FE family. I have several of these and love them all. I may be prejudiced, a FM2 was my first SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F100 or N90s. Both are rugged & pro quality cameras without going to the larger & heavier F5.
    The N90s is a not very sophisticated camera & commonly available for less than $100. The F100 gives much more sophistication for not much more money, about $150-$200 in good shape.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... it seems in these "What camera should I get?" threads everyone recommends the camera they themselves use.

It might be more interesting if we restrict ourselves to recommending cameras we don't own but think might fill the OP's needs.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not into SLRs really, but if I were going to get one, I'd consider Pentax. Tend to be small and I think compatibility with modern lenses is very good.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Pentax, and never have.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well recommending the ones we own makes perfect sense. If someone researches the available cameras, they probably choose the ones they feel give the best performance that are currently available and buy them. If someone limits recommendations to cameras they don't own, there is probably a reason they didn't buy it, so you would be recommending something you ruled out. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the old Yashica/Kyocera Contax cameras are very good, and the Carl Zeiss lenses are outstanding. And you'll pay for it, too. In general, Zeiss doesn't make one level for consumers and then a good lens for the pro -- for the same mount. Of course, those lenses are priced much higher to start.

However, Zeiss is now making lenses for several SLR mounts, including Nikon, Canon, Pentax K and a more limited range in M42 screw mount.

I've been toying with the idea of a Pentax MZ-S, its last high-end SLR and then pairing it with a new Zeiss K-mount lens.

The F3 is very highly regarded and seem to be reasonable on the used market. The F100 also gets some rave reviews.

As always, much depends on your budget: $500, $1,000, more, less?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Depends on what you want....small and light? The Olympus OM series is pretty amazing. Ability to use autofocus and manual lenses? A reasonably modern Nikon would be great. Personally, I have a Canon Élan 7 and a couple of OM1s......I prefer the OM1 (but an OM4Ti sure would be nice!)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin