Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,720   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Cold accessory shoe attachment for Zenit B with no hot shoe????

Hi there!
    I feel quite stupid asking this but I'm really confused and am hoping you can help me. I own a Zenit B and am interested in buying a flashgun, and I know other Zenit B cameras have a cold accessory shoe already attached but mine doesn't and I'm wondering where I can find some kind of cold accessory shoe attachment? Is there still such thing? Is it universal or do I have to buy the attachment suited to a Zenit camera?

This is what my camera looks like at the moment: http://www.rus-camera.com/camera.php...&camera=zenitb

Also, I see that because the camera doesn't have a wired hot shoe I will have to either buy a flashgun that has a PC sync lead OR buy a normal flashgun that fits on the hot shoe and then buy this:
    http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/hama...rd-p-4356.html
    What is the best way to go about this?

Any help would be so appreciated
    Last edited by juliette.steen; 10-13-2010 at 09:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The attachment that would place the flash directly over the prism will be specific to the Zenit. The good news is that there are probably thousands lying around in drawers; bad news is that finding them could be very difficult.

An option would be a flash bracket of some sort; they range from very simple "L" shaped brackets that you can find used for a buck or 2 (or even free) to more elaborate brackets (like the Stroboframe) the place the flash over the prism and shift for both vertical and horizontal compositions.

If you can find the flash you want with a pc cords, that's probably the way to go. Otherwise, the adapter you referenced should work just fine with any shoe mount flash assuming it has a hot shoe.

Where are you located? And welcome to APUG.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks so much for replying.
    Yeah I bet there are so many lying around but I will never find one, unless I buy another zenit b body with one attached I guess.
    Where can I find the simple shaped brackets cheap? Ebay perhaps?
    I'm located in Australia.
    Thanks again for the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any half way decent camera store should have them. Something like this will do just fine. If the flash you intend to use has a hot shoe and a PC cord like the Vivitar 285HV, you'll want to put a small piece of tape on the shoe to prevent it from making contact with the frame.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No tape needed with a Vivitar 28x type flash and most other older models, as plugging the flash cord into the flash turns off the hot shoe contacts.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In the 1970s, Vivitar sold a very good flash bracket. Make sure that it has the cable release.

I've used this quite a bit. It's a bit large, but with a heavy camera, it feels very balanced in your hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    No tape needed with a Vivitar 28x type flash and most other older models, as plugging the flash cord into the flash turns off the hot shoe contacts.
    You're right about the Vivtiar 28x flashes. I know I have one or two around here that short out on an all metal cold shoe. I just dis-remebered which one.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for your help everyone!
    This morning a fellow zenit b owner contacted me and said he could send me a cold shoe attachment from his own collection in exchange for a photo print or small sum of money. I'm incredibly happy and lucky!
    I looked at the Vivitar 285HV and like it a lot, thank you Frank for suggesting it. Does anyone here use this particular flash?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Vivitar 285 would be an excellent choice, with a Vivitar 283 a close second. Both of those have hot shoes and would require a proprietary (i.e. special tip at one end for Vivitar) PC cord unless you use the hot shoe adapter you referenced in your initial post.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    I will look into it. Hopefully the Vivitar 285 comes with the PC sync cord as standard, otherwise I will have to buy the cord separate or the hot shoe adapter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin