Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,652   Posts: 1,623,588   Online: 823

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    But true value will always be a subjective thing, from both sides of the lens.
    Exactly so, of course. Each person in the transaction has to have an imbalance in how they view the worth of the item, in opposite directions. I paid a fairly high price for my T5, and I can say that I'm not disappointed with the results, they're far better than I'd anticipated. That said, I recently picked up a Contax T2, fully boxed and as new, for only marginally more than I'd paid for the T5, and there's no contest, the T5 wouldn't get a look in a second time in competition. I don't know the Olympus, so I'm not qualified to make comparisons (though I know enough about my 35RC to take Olympus recommendations at face value), but I do know that photographically, the T5 will not disappoint. Oddly enough, I got a Yashica T3 a few years ago, and it was disappointing.
    Alex

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    However, I have recently replaced both the Yashica and the Olympus with perhaps the most underrated (and undervalued!) gem of the compact, weatherproof, point and shoot niche, a Konica Lexio 70W. The Lexio has a six element, six group 28-70mm zoom, f3.4 at the wide end and f7.9 at full zoom, is every bit as compact as the Yashica or the Olympus, and has metal shell with outstanding build quality. And it's IQ is every bit as good as the other two more well-known models. They don't come up for sale as often as the T4/T5 or the MjuII, and usually sell for much less.

Wider than the T4 or the MjuII, but with the option to zoom when you need something a little longer, and so very small and pretty; what's not to like?
    I bought a Lexio 70W originally for that "W" - the fact that it goes to 28mm at the wide end instead of the more usual 35 or 38mm that P & Ss seem to favour. It's a great camera with one exception - the power switch that's supposed to to turn it on when the shell is opened. That failed on my first 70W (apparently a common fault) and I ended up buying a second one for a couple of quid off ePay. As you say, an under-rated camera.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I bought a Lexio 70W originally for that "W" - the fact that it goes to 28mm at the wide end instead of the more usual 35 or 38mm that P & Ss seem to favour. It's a great camera with one exception - the power switch that's supposed to to turn it on when the shell is opened. That failed on my first 70W (apparently a common fault) and I ended up buying a second one for a couple of quid off ePay. As you say, an under-rated camera.
    Steve
    Steve, when I originally received mine, I also thought that I had a faulty power switch. What it turned out to be was a slight deformation of the sliding lens cover that was causing faulty contact between the metal tabs on on the lead edge of the cover that slide in the channels at top and bottom of the camera body, and the small metal detents that they catch on when the cover is fully open. Apparently, these are also contacts for the switch. I was able to reform the edges of the cover with my fingertips, and Voila!, the camera sprang to life.

I don't know if the cause of my problem was the same as yours, but if you still have that dead Lexio knocking around in a drawer or cupboard somewhere, it might be worth experimenting upon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin