Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 821

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Yashica T4 or Olympus XA2??

I'm really interested in buying a point and shoot camera and have my eye on a Yashica T4 and Olympus XA2 on ebay.
    I've had a look at some photos that each produce on flickr groups and though they are quite different, I like them both. So I am torn.
    Which would you buy out of these two, and why?

Thanks!

Shooter
    127 Format
    Is the T4 that one with a 'waist-level' finder of sorts? That might be interesting.

I wish I had a link but a year ago I read a comparison between the T4 and the XA2. They each have their strengths but in that particular comparison the XA2 was chosen.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would stick to the XA2
    "Yashica T4

John Rodgerson , Jan 16, 2010; 05:19 p.m.

I have had my Yashica T4 for a few months, all going great and then last week I was taking a photo and the shutter wouldn't release.
    Its as if the lens extends a little to focus like normal but then nothing happens, the shutter doesn't open.
    Has anyone had this problem before? Any solutions before I go crazy and have to find a good local camera repairer?
    Any help thanks!
    John"

Shooter
    35mm
    My XA2 used to vignette badly. I sent it to Olympus with slides showing fall off at the corners and they said it was functioning correctly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just go to goodwill, I got a kodak star 35 ef for $3 (with working flash and clean battery contacts)

Shooter
    35mm
    All of the XA cameras (I have the XA, XA2, and XA4) vignette slightly. It's not a big deal with negative film. I really love the XA cameras. I prefer the XA4 and XA2 to the XA.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not familiar with the Yashica, but I can certainly recommend the Olympus. I recently acquired an XA3 in mint condition and the pictures are very sharp for a zone focusing system. The XA2 is the same camera without DX-coding and exposure is fully automatic; an ideal camera to have with you for situations when you can't take your SLR and lenses with you as it is very small and slips nicely into your pocket.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had my Yashica T5 for many years, and I love it. The metering is reliable, it's fast, quiet, and that little f/3.5 Tessar is a star. It has a nifty waist level finder and all the focus indicators are still visible with it. Very handy if you want to rest the camera on a wall, say (I keep a very small beanbag handy for that purpose), and frame up using the auxiliary finder. Exposure control on mine is good enough for slide film.
    Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The T4 is the better camera. (It was much, much more expensive too, especially when it came with the Contax brand on it).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an XA and have 3 T4 Supers.

The T4s take pictures - Kodachrome slides - that can't be distinguished from pictures taken with my Nikons or Leicas: extremely sharp, no flare, no fall off, perfectly exposed. The camera feels nice and solid.

My XA vignetted, had terrific flare and with a resultant low saturation, overexposed in bright light/underexposed in dim light, lens performance unless stopped down to f11 was better than a disposable but not by much, and the flash was a PITA. The overall feel of the camera was flimsy.

However, the price of used T4s is very high. A Nikon 35ti can be had for about the same price. OTOH, I have bought two 35ti's and returned both because they didn't work: one couldn't focus or expose well, the other only took pictures when it felt like it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin