Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,047   Online: 787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    here's a question, will an FL mount to an FD? friend has an 85 1.8 FL
    Yes, absolutely! That's what I if you check my .sig, I have two FL mount lenses including the 85mm f/1.8 FL but only FD mount cameras. Works fine.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Breech Lock Mount:
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...85_18_ssc.html

Bayonet Mount:
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...nfd_85_18.html

Prices:
    http://home.comcast.net/~starka/CanonFD_ebay2.htm

"BL vs. New FD mount lenses - In most cases I really don't see any major price differences between old BL mount lenses and the newer bayonet mount."

The older breech-lock lenses were of sturdier metal construction. The newer bayonet mounts contained more plastic, were smaller, lighter (3 ounces less for the 85 mm.), took a smaller filter, and had the multi-layer Super-Spectra Coating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    here's a question, will an FL mount to an FD? friend has an 85 1.8 FL
    FL lenses fit FD bodys fine, but will only operate in the stopped down metering mode
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    If you are seeing a difference in price between the two, I do not think that enough analysis has been done. If anything, the newer ones should run slightly higher. Neither will be noticeably different than the other optically.
    At KEH the "EX" grade BL lens run slightly more expensive than the "EX" grade new-FD lens. At "BGN" grade, however, the new-FD lens (which is what I purchased) is slightly more expensive.

I would assume that this reflects the better mechanical construction of the BL lens, as well as its greater age.

Any differences in the optical performance between the two designs will likely be swamped by the usual sample-to-sample variation.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    SSC stands for "Super Spectra Coating". Prior to the "new" ones FD's lenses could have different quality of coating, SSC being the premium. With the new series of lenses, all got the "SSC" coating. Optically the two lenses are the same or very similar. Any visible difference will probably boil down to condition.
    Not strictly correct Jason none of the 50mm f1.8 lenses are multi-coated, only the f1.4 and 1.2version.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-19-2010 at 12:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Not strictly correct Jason none of the 50mm f1.8 lenses are multi-coated, only the f1.4 version.
    Yes, you are right about that. I neglected to mention it, what with the Tequila and all.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 10-19-2010 at 10:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget the 50mm f/3.5 SSC macro...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Yes, you are right about that. I neglected to mention it, what with the Tequila and all.
    No worries Jason, I just wanted to point it out because if someone buys one they may be under the wrong impression
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if it is correct to say that none of the 50/1.8 Canon lenses was multicoated. If you look at a late model breech lock 50/1.8 and compare its coating to that of a 200/4 FD (non SSC) breech lock lens you will see they are not the same. After a certain point very few Canon lenses were "single coated." They may not have had as thorough a multicoating as some other lenses but they were probably multicoated too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    I don't know if it is correct to say that none of the 50/1.8 Canon lenses was multicoated. If you look at a late model breech lock 50/1.8 and compare its coating to that of a 200/4 FD (non SSC) breech lock lens you will see they are not the same. After a certain point very few Canon lenses were "single coated." They may not have had as thorough a multicoating as some other lenses but they were probably multicoated too.
    All the 50mm f1.8 both breech lock and the bayonet type are single Spectre coated http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ses/50mmfd.htm
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin