Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,470   Posts: 1,570,912   Online: 901

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax SMC Takumar lens repair

The distance scale on my SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens has stopped rotating when the focus ring is turned.

I'm wondering if this can be repaired and if I can do it myself.

I've never taken a lens apart before and am not sure how difficult it is to get to this part. There are 3 screws on that part of the body. If anyone has advice on how to go about it, please let me know.

A short time before it broke, I heard and felt some mild crunching. When the crunching stopped the distance scale did too.

I can get the scale to move if I put a little pressure on it while turning the focus ring.

If I have to have someone else repair it, I would only want to spend about $50 because KEH has this lens for about $65 to $80.
    Last edited by drkhalsa; 10-19-2010 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this link may be of assistance.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhit...x50mmf1.4.html

It covers the 50/1.4 but the lenses appear to be of similar construction.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for sharing the link!
    It showed just enough for me to fix my 50/1.7
    Good luck, drkhalsa!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can't fix it yourself, contact Eric Hendrickson. Good prices, great service. Email him for a rough quote-
    http://pentaxs.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all, for the advice and encouragement.

I'll decide whether to round up the necessary tools or call Eric Hendrickson.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    It is an easy fix.
    It only stop rotating because the distance scale is glued on the focus ring. So likely the glue has come undone.
    On the 55/1.8 the whole optical block come out in one piece so there is not much chance of screwing it up.
    Just make sure you have infinity lined up correctly when you glue the thing back on. I used 5 minute epoxy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hamster, thanks for adding those details. I was wondering how the scale was attached and was thinking about the importance of setting it at infinity.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    As far as I can remember I used Epoxy to attached it.

As fo infinity alignment. I thin it was possible to mount the lens when it is partially disassembled, so only need to focus on a distance object, like the moon. Then line up the infinity mark with the centre line.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin