Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,836   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

F1 focus screen cleaning

what should I use to clean the focus screen on my F1. I changed light seals and was doing some cleaning and now I have spots on it that won't come off. i'm concerned it might be something else on there like fungus because when i do seem to get it clean it comes back but it moves around. I never noticed it before and everything else is clean and clear including the lens.

Thanks for the help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you mean it moves around? Are you using a liquid, and when it dries the spots reappear, or is it a stubborn speck that you can't remove from the screen, and you just keep pushing it around?

It's a removable screen, right? Take it out, if you haven't already, and beyond a camel's hair rush, I'd say a lens cleaning solvent might be ok, but I can't say with absolute certainty.

If nothing works, you could get a replacement screen or live with it, as it won't have any affect on picture quality. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used lens cleaner on a cloth. I did not put liquid directly on the screen. I got one side to go away and then it all seemed to appear on the other side. (same side opposite ends) I will have to live with it probably which is okay. Just looking for experience. Thanks holmburgers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's the F1 N, you could remove it to clean it. I have dust on my F1's mirror and focusing screen and the pictures look fine. I'd just live with it.

Shooter
    35mm

F1 focus screen cleaning

The F-1 focusing screens come in a frame along with a condenser. If you are not careful you might get liquid between the two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwelsh View Post
    I used lens cleaner on a cloth. I did not put liquid directly on the screen. I got one side to go away and then it all seemed to appear on the other side. (same side opposite ends) I will have to live with it probably which is okay. Just looking for experience. Thanks holmburgers.
    Maybe static charge made it all appear on the other side?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought about liquid getting in between something. That very well could be a possibility. I looked on the ebay and found them mostly for 50 dollars. Seemed a little steep to me. There are nine different screens for this camera. All of them for different types of photography. It is the older version F1 for anyone who wants to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK - don't laugh......

if it moves around then oyu may well have a bug living in oyur focusiing screen. A F1 screen is made up (from memory) of 3 bits - the focussing screen itself, a thin beam splitter glass that sends a portion of the light coming onto the screen to the lightmeter, and a magnifier lens.

What you need to do is pull the screen apart to remove the blob that moves...to do this you need to remove the 2 or 4 screews (I can't recall which on a old F1) and then push on the screen from above. Next remove the tape from the outside of the bundle carefully, and dismantle the screen.

DO NOT TOUCH THE ACTUAL FOCUSSING SCREEN - if you get marks on a focussing screen it can be very hard to clean the screen without leaving a drying mark on the screen....

If you do get foam or dirt on a focussing screen the best way I've found to clean it is to first use alcohol to remove any sticky substances, and then wash the screen in mild detergent, adn leave it to air dry sitting on one corner. You may need to wash it a couple of times before you can dry it withour a cleaning mark, but it does work..

Just reverse above when re-assembling the unit - just make sure you don't tape over the opening where the lightmeter window is in the back of the screen or you will throw out your meter...

And $50 is not unreasonable for a screen - I can remember when I worked for Canon Australia in the early 90's a new screen wholesaled for $109.90 + sales tax.....

If youhave any questions send me a PM - I used to repair cameras at Canon and still have afew bits floating around if you need soemthing..

Cheers

Andrew
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    If the screen is like the old Nikon F type (mounted in a frame, with condenser lens above) the dust may be in between the 2 elements. Using ANY kind of "solvent" on the frosted plastic part of the screen will destroy the etching and stain it. You should limit cleaning to dry compressed air (do not blow on screen with your mouth as droplets of saliva will leave marks), or fine brush. A goose feather is my choice for brushing focus screens. I've heard of washing screens in distilled water. John

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say the screen is ruined. Once got some of the remains of a mirror dampener goo to a FM's focusing screen. I tried every possible solution I found in my house, excluding iron wool. Normal soap, gasoline, turpentine, isopropyl alcohol, some kind of industrial cleaning stuff which removed even duct tape's glue from my glasses etc. Everything, no success.

I ended up throwing the screen away. It still worked ok and I didn't see any side effects of using cleaning solutions.. they didn't seem to melt anything from the screen But of course I don't recommend trying them if you absolutely don't need to...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin