Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,312   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Minolta Dynax 9/built in flash problem

Anyone any idea why when the built in flash on the Dynax 9, when raised, causes the camera to lock ? By lowering the flash, switching the camera off then back on, the camera will then work correctly (i.e. and with the flash still lowered.) The camera will work perfectly when an external flashgun is fitted, and there are no problems whatsoever. Is this a fault on the camera, or is it a minor problem through not following the instruction manual, ie custom function or something similar. Hoping to hear some god news from you APUG members.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found the answer to my query- it is a fault in the flash circuitry, and would need a professional repair. As the flash could not be charged, the camera became locked and the shutter button could not fire. With an external flashgun fitted, that was being charged correctly, and therefore there was no problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pityacka View Post
    Found the answer to my query- it is a fault in the flash circuitry, and would need a professional repair. As the flash could not be charged, the camera became locked and the shutter button could not fire. With an external flashgun fitted, that was being charged correctly, and therefore there was no problem.
    Hi I have exact same issue-When turned on if you raise the flash I can just hear it trying to charge... then it begins to drain the battery. Did you find out who could repair this issue ? What were the costs ? Annoying because, obviously I can not use the built in flash but also as it locks till charged... [whicch it will no do] I can not use the wireless flash facillity only the on camera hot shoe. Let me know if you resolved the issue. Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kevin, I cannot help re repairs to a Dynax 9. I had seen a 9 on ebay with that fault, and had thought of buying it, if it was something which could easily and cheaply be repaired. If you live in the UK I think there are still several independent repairers who could assist.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most of the D9 shooters I know of hang out on dyxum, so you might try asking there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    polyglot, Thanks for that post. Excuse my delay. I had been on the Dyxum site a few times before, and have forgotten about it. I will have to go back there again. As regards the faulty Dynax 9 I did not bid for it, but as they say, "You never know what is in store for you, just around the corner." Yesterday I won a Dynax 9, together with the VC-9 grip for £170.00 Both are mint- condition. Here in the UK photo dealers are asking about £160 for the grip alone. Should get delivery of the 9 tomorrow - and tuck it up in bed with my 800si; Dynax 7; 600si;and 9000. Let it have a good sleep then take it out for some exercise.!!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Holy crap. For that price I'd nearly buy one to use with all my Alpha glass even though I've basically sworn off 35mm film as being too small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    polyglot, I have just posted on 'latest camera bought' here on APUG, as the 9 arrived this morning. What a bargain. It is unmarked and clean inside and out.Back end of last year there was one on ebay in Australia, together with the grip, I think. I am not sure if it went for £200-300. I was tempted to bid or buy, but then doubt set in re shipping(going amiss) then customs and duty charges here in the UK.
    I also use medium format, having bought a Mamiya 67(used), but you cannot go humping round gear like that all day and every day, unless you are out shooting kangaroos and crocodiles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Pityacka;

The repair necessary probably will be a job for a good camera repair technician. The most likely cause of the problem is the capacitor that holds the electrical charge waiting to be sent to the xenon gas flash tube. I suggest that the capacitor has a short, or at least a serious leak that appears when the voltage
    reaches a certain point. Then the battery will be drained by the inverter (the source of the whining or rising pitch sound you hear when it is charging) as it keeps trying to charge the capacitor. Sorry.

Congratulations on getting the Dynax 9 for that price, regardless of the state of the little built-in flash. I do not use mine anyway; there is always a larger electronic flash for it when that function is needed. And I do not really know if the little built-in flash even works on mine. I will try turning it on and listen for the rising pitch sound of a successful charge.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On the matter of flashes, there's the Sony HVL-F20AM, which is designed to be a substitute for on-camera flash for the A900. It has pretty low power (GN 20m) so can do light-duty fill but it's primarily intended as a master for running a bunch of 5600HS(D) or HVL-F58AM remotely. One of those might work quite well on a D9 with a dud flash and they're pretty cheap.

They also have a very cool power switch: you raise it to turn it on, just like a camera flash!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin