Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,794   Online: 820

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax K1000 and Takumar lenses - question

I heard something about, if I wanted to use a Takumar lens with a Pentax K1000, I would need an adapter ring... Is this true?

and where can I get one?

Richard

Shooter
    Large Format

Pentax Lens Mount Compatibility for its 35mm SLRs

Takumar is Asahi Optical Company’s (Pentax) name for its camera lenses. Any K-mount bayonet lens will fit the K-1000.

If the lens is very old it might have the old M42 screw mount. In that case an adapter is needed.

Details can be found here

http://www.robertstech.com/compat.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are good and bad adaptors. I have a cllection of Super Takumas or Super-Multi Coated Takumars that I usu with my Spotmatics: I got an adaptor for the Contax; it works great. I got an adaptor for the Minoltasw; they don't work so well; in fact my lenses cannot focus to infinity. So; ve careful.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    There are good and bad adaptors. I have a cllection of Super Takumas or Super-Multi Coated Takumars that I usu with my Spotmatics: I got an adaptor for the Contax; it works great. I got an adaptor for the Minoltasw; they don't work so well; in fact my lenses cannot focus to infinity. So; ve careful.
    I suppose I'll get the lens and go from there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, but oyu need an M42 to K-mount adapter. Pentax still makes one (the Mount Adapter B). It's relatively expensive, but it's guaranteed to be a quality piece. There are also adapters available on eBay, but you lose focus at infinity with some. Not so with the Pentax-made item.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    Takumar is Asahi Optical Company’s (Pentax) name for its camera lenses. Any K-mount bayonet lens will fit the K-1000.
    Almost all of Asahi's (later Pentax Corp.) manual focus K-mount lenses were called SMC Pentax, SMC Pentax-M or SMC Pentax-A.

Takumar was used for the screw-mount lenses, and much later for a few K-mount lenses, called "Takumar (Bayonet)." The Takumar Bayonet are generally regarded as being not as high quality as the SMC Pentaxes. They sold for less and lack multicoating.

If the lens is very old it might have the old M42 screw mount. In that case an adapter is needed.
    The M42 mount Asahi lenses will be called either Takumar, Auto-Takumar, Super-Takumar or Super Multi Coated Takumar. And an adapter will be needed for these or any M42 lens, of which there are many.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevopedia View Post
    Yes, but oyu need an M42 to K-mount adapter. Pentax still makes one (the Mount Adapter B). It's relatively expensive, but it's guaranteed to be a quality piece. There are also adapters available on eBay, but you lose focus at infinity with some. Not so with the Pentax-made item.
    And I can state from experience that the adapters that are copies of the genuine Pentax item, allowing infinity focus, are not the same quality. One I had jammed on a camera, causing a real headache. I ended up carefully cutting it off with diagonal cutters. Get the adapter sold by Pentax. It's worth it.

Shooter
    35mm
    All of my "Super Takumar" M42 screw mount lenses are Multicoated.

Do they have as many coatings as the "Super Multi Coated" or the "SMC" lenses?

I don't know but they are surely Multi-coated.

Are the K mount lenses better Quality than the older M42 lenses?

I don't know, but it seems unlikely.In my experience, the older lenses in most series have the better build quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donmck View Post
    All of my "Super Takumar" M42 screw mount lenses are Multicoated.
    Nope they're not.

Do they have as many coatings as the "Super Multi Coated" or the "SMC" lenses?
    Nope they don't.

I don't know but they are surely Multi-coated.
    Nope they're not.

Multicoating refers to a coating technology which uses several layers built up on a glass surface to reduce reflection off glass/air surfaces. Super Multi-Coating/SMC uses 7 layers. Fuji's EBC process uses 11.
    Multicoating is designed at the outset to be a multiple layer process and so presents much more complex challenges to engineers to make it work properly.

That doesn't mean that some lenses did not have more than one layer on some or all surfaces before there was multicoating. But they were fewer than what is used in multicoating. A lens which is said to be "double-coated" would not be considered "multicoated".

Are the K mount lenses better Quality than the older M42 lenses?

I don't know, but it seems unlikely.In my experience, the older lenses in most series have the better build quality.
    Build quality of the M42 Asahi lenses was great. The first K-mount lenses were the same lenses in K-mount. But the M-series were also built well. Some of the A series started using some plastic, but were still well built. I don't think they're quite as tough as the all-metal lenses, but otherwise are quite good, with very smooth operation.

Optically, the Takumars are still very good. Many of the newer lenses will outperform them in tests, but they have a way of rendering an image that is just plain nice.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-25-2010 at 09:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    very interesting--

So let me try this--My original Super Taks are surely not single coated.
    they have multiple coatings.

I still think the Super Taks are one of the best deals in 35mm lenses--just "imo"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin