Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 914

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Using EF lenses on FD mount?

Is it possible? I've seen lots about using FD lenses with EOS cameras, but can it be done in reverse? My Canon 7e is busted and I've got my eye on a T90 for cheap. Does anyone know of a method of adapting EF lenses to FD? I've never actually used an FD mount, so if this is an entirely preposterous question, sorry. I don't know much about the actual size of the FD vs EF mounts, and it may be physically impossible.

Thanks for any input.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I seriously doubt it. FD lenses are found easily and are inexpensive.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's what my research is leading me to believe. Thought I'd ask.

I am salivating a bit at some of the FD lenses I've seen out there, for sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have full frame EOS lenses - not the EFS, then you might consider the EOS film cams as opposed to FD mount cams. The pro level cams like the EOS1, 1n & 3 are very reasonably priced. Of course you might also consider the non-pro EOS film cams too such as the Elan 7, 7N, 7NE, and others depending on your requirements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is better to use FD lenses on FD bodies like F-1, FTbN, A-1, T-90 and EF lenses on EOS bodies, EOS-1, 3, even the oldest 650/630/620 are really good and can be purchased very cheaply these days. The mount to film distance is different from FD to EF mount to it is a pain to use them on the other mount.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for an used EOS body from KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some FD lenses can be used with EOS cameras and a mechanical or mechanical-optical adapter, because they are mechanically controlled lenses and can be stopped down manually by turning a ring on the adapter.

EOS lenses are electronically controlled, so an adapter to use EOS lenses on FD body would require a power source and controller to set the aperture, which sounds like a cumbersome and expensive proposition. I think there are such things for large format using the Rollei Electronic Shutter and the like, where cumbersome isn't a problem, and evidently there are studios with deep pockets that need that kind of control.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an adapter to use Nikons on my EOS Rebel XTi.

I actually have an Elan 7e it's a very nice camera. You can find the FD adapters on that auction site, that's where I got my Nikon adapter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm likely going to get another EOS body, it seems. I have a bunch of EF lenses that I am loath to part with. I have broken two EOS bodies in the past month and a half, though, so I am getting a bit frustrated. (Door latch on both. I promise I'm not abusing them, they just seem to be flimsy.)

I've got an Elan IIe and 7ne. Is the 1n that much more durable? They're pretty cheap out there, so I'm thinking about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can mechanically adapt the EF lenses to the FD bodies, then you can shoot them wide open. EF lenses have their apertures set electronically, so you would be limited to shooting wide open. You'd also need a hand held light meter, or to be good at guessing exposure.

What would be neat would be an adapter that incorporates a mechanically-set aperture ring that would electronically control the aperture of the EF lens, but no such thing exists, TMK.

Even high-end EOS bodies sell for peanuts now. I got my EOS 3 in like-new condition, even with the box, for $180 shipped via A.P.U.G. classifieds. At that price for a 3, it would be hard to suggest anything "lower."
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin