Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,503   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    This is off topic. But wasn't the OM4t one of the nicest cameras all time.

I never owned one, and they never were very popular in Canada but they seemed so nice. I remember seeing a 180mm F2 at a News Photographers Convention once and falling in love with it.

-Rob Skeoch
    Rob
    I have an OM-4 lying around which has been out for repair of an erratic shutter problem twice but never fixed. I liked the camera a lot but it is in the junk box now
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, no On/Off on the OM-4t. Battery drain issue was fixed prior to T/Ti version. Yes, one of the nicest cameras of all time. Yes, Yes, YES. Great meter too. Just a slightly biased opinion, mind you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you decide you would like to buy a one give me a bump. I have a nice one in box with all documentation packaging, etc. If we strike a deal, 3% to APUG. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OM-4 and OM-2S both have higher-drain circuits which do tend to deplete batteries even while unused. HOWEVER, it is absolutely critical that you select the correct batteries for these cameras. For example, if you put Lithium batteries in it, thinking that they should be better for cold weather (usually they are), forget it. You'll get maybe two days out of the batteries before the voltage-drop lowers them below the point where the cameras will turn on. Those are absolutely no-no.

You MUST use Silver-Oxide batteries!!!!

I wrote about this on my website in this article:

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=429&Itemid=1

I had an OM-4 for several years, but now have an OM-4T (USA version of the OM-4Ti), an OM-2S and an OM-3Ti. The OM-3Ti doesn't need a battery to operate the shutter, but the meter does require it. I seem to be replacing the batteries in the OM-4T and OM-3Ti about the same time because I am a heavy user of the multi-spot metering capability.

Ken
    www.zone-10.com
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And when you do get an OM 4, turn the "beep" off.
    Annoying little feature, that can't be good for the batteries either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The beep on the OM-4 can be turned off, that helps extend battery life. The 4t has the updated circuitry, as do some of the later 4's. Both models automatically turn on with a slight depression of the shutter release button, and turn off after two minutes of non-activity(dont touch that button).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    OM-4Ti meter turns off automatically in 90 seconds but there is still baseline battery drain , VERY low in T/Ti compared to plain 4 (about 1/6th as much). Same goes when comparing OM-3 to 3Ti. Setting shutter speed dial to B/60 prevents meter from turning on if release button is depressed slightly but does not turn off the baseline battery drain. If batteries are going dead quickly in a plain OM-2, there is something wrong. Leaving it set to auto or manual has a very slightly drain but still, if using silver oxide batteries, you could leave meter on for a long time without killing batteries. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all, this was very informative.

Shooter
    35mm
    How professional is an Olympus OM4T you ask? Check out this article called OM-4Ti Crash Test Results at http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/crash-test.txt. Not something I would subject my OM-4T or any other camera I own!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have the early OM-4 and it always had battery drain problems. I sent it to Olympus America twice and they sent it back with my batteries on a card with a lame excuse that I should not keep my flash in the hotshoe powered on.

Over the years, I learned the best thing for me is to use Alkaline A76's because the cost of Silver Oxide - considering my specific camera's consumption pattern - was unacceptable to me. Yes, they only last a short time. For a week in the mountains I would bring 12 cells in two separate containers. One set of 6 would stay in the middle of my pack, insulated from temperature extremes. The other set of 6 in my pants pocket. I would always need new batteries at the start. Sometimes they would die twice in a day. Sometimes cold weather would cause them to die. But typically I would hit a stretch of 3-4 days without them dying. Then they'd die on my last morning. I usually had a couple left by the end of the trip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin