Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,623   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

A quick Olympus OM-4ti question

I have the OM-2 which I am very happy with, but I keep forgetting turning it off so batteries keep dying on me.
    Am I right that on OM-4ti I do not have to turn it off?
    (If I am right I will start looking for one.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I am reviewing my OM4T and unlike the OM1 or OM2, there is no "off" switch per se. You can put the shutter selector on a manual speed and the metering will not activate at all. Otherwise, pressing the shutter will activate the meter even with the film advance all the way in but I am sure the LCD makes a minimum drain on batteries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can judge exposure a bit by guesstimation, trust the camera to do its work, you don't have to switch the OM 2 on, and then there is no risk of forgetting to switch it off.

The metering system will be switched on jump into action the moment you release the shutter, so if you can judge the situation, know beforehand that in a given situation, at a given aperture the shutter speed will be in a 'usable' range, you can do without the viewfinder meter that requires use of the on-off switch.

Don't know about the OM 4T specifically (i forgot...) but do know that i took the batteries out of OM 4 cameras at the end of every day using them. If i did not, they would be flat the next time i needed the camera (even if that would be the next day). Despite putting the shutter speed ring to blue B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Q.G. I understand that some OM4's may exhibit excessive battery drain but that it is before the OM4T and/or internal component failure. I can't even remember when the last time I changed the batteries in my OM4T and it is still good to go.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is off topic. But wasn't the OM4t one of the nicest cameras all time.

I never owned one, and they never were very popular in Canada but they seemed so nice. I remember seeing a 180mm F2 at a News Photographers Convention once and falling in love with it.

-Rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the camera turns itself off after 2 minutes. I know that I rarely have to renew the batteries in mine.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    At some point during the OM4's history the circuitry was updated so that it would automatically shut off after a minute or two and not drain the battery. If you set the selector switch to "Battery Check" and it shut offs after a few minutes the camera has the new circuitry. I believe all OM4Ts have this updated circuitry, but I don't know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have to turn 'On' or 'Off' my Olympus OM-4T
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy an OM-4Ti, you will never regret it and you won't have to worry about switching it off, but then the OM-2 is only MAN/OFF/AUTO, surely not that difficult to remember.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Since the camera is very dependent on it, battery life is certainly a consideration for acquiring an OM4T. Notwithstanding circuitry failure, I think it's spot metering (mine is accurate as a Sekonic 758DR) and certainly the best aperture priority metering of any manual camera that I have especially for very long exposures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin